Ghost Ship aground at Ballycotton

Poignard

Visit site
"On 3 September last year, the Royal Navy's ice patrol ship, HMS Protector, posted on Twitter that its crew had spotted Alta in the middle of the Atlantic.

The tweet said there was nobody on board and the ship looked like she was derelict for some time.
"

"Last September it was reported that the UK Royal Navy's Devonport-based HMS Protector had come across the MV Alta in the Mid-Atlantic. "

Odd if no effort was made to remove this danger to shipping, either by towing her in or sinking her,

Frogmogman

Visit site
The real ale version preferably.

Mind you, as almost alcohol free beers go, the 0,5% is pretty good. If you mix it half and half with the real ale version, you end up with a beer that smells and tastes pretty much like the real thing, but is 2.25%, just the job if you’re driving.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
The real ale version preferably.

Mind you, as almost alcohol free beers go, the 0,5% is pretty good. If you mix it half and half with the real ale version, you end up with a beer that smells and tastes pretty much like the real thing, but is 2.25%, just the job if you’re driving.
For various medical reasons, I'm having to lay off alcohol. I've therefore tried quite a lot of low alcohol brews! None are as good as the real thing, but the ones that aren't too bad include Ghost Ship, Nanny State by Brewdog and Brooklyn Special Effects. One or two are awful - in particular, low alcohol Speckled Hen is dreadful - it tastes like unbrewed wort!

crewman

Visit site
For various medical reasons, I'm having to lay off alcohol. I've therefore tried quite a lot of low alcohol brews! None are as good as the real thing, but the ones that aren't too bad include Ghost Ship, Nanny State by Brewdog and Brooklyn Special Effects. One or two are awful - in particular, low alcohol Speckled Hen is dreadful - it tastes like unbrewed wort!
I agree about LA Speckled Hen. St Peter's Without is worse! Have you tried Infinite Session IPA? I think it is one of the best LA beers.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Does HMS Protector, a survey ship, have suitable armaments for sinking it?
HMS Endurance, even more a survey ship, had a small gun amply capable of sinking an unresisting ship (4 pounder, or some such). I'm sure a few shots along the waterline would sink most derelicts. Snag is, it was usually struck down below; the only time I heard of it being mounted was during the Falklands War, but they may well exercise with it when not overrun with civilian scientists. I think it is policy that all naval vessels that operate beyond coastal waters carry some sort of weapons.

Mark-1

Visit site
Odd if no effort was made to remove this danger to shipping, either by towing her in or sinking her,

I thought that, letting it hit rocks strikes me as a very expensive way to handle it. Wonder why it wasn't taken in tow a day or three before it hit Ireland. I can understand why it would be left alone mid Ocean, but once it's so close to Ireland/UK that a wreck we have to clear up is inevitable you'd think action would be taken. Is it just the case that it's nobody's job to watch for approaching ships so its arrival was totally unexpected. Or was there a plan to tow it and then weather stopped it happening? Or something else?

Anyone know?