GGR22

zoidberg

Visit site
51515262220_f5395463f1_c.jpg

I'll believe it when I see it!

:oops:

laika

Visit site
Why would anyone want to to that? In the original they used state of the art electronics of the day.

Because it tests a set of skills which modern electronics make less relevant but some people still take pride in possessing, e.g. meteorology and astro? A lot of "sport" involves skills which have been made irrelevant by modern innovations. Google maps is telling me that the 42.5km from Marathon to Athens will take 49min by car with "the usual traffic".

I do understand the motivation for competing in a race which tests traditional navigation skills but the whole "recreate 1968" thing is a bit silly. It's also a shame that it appears to the casual observer as a money making venture

Last edited:

Ceirwan

Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it!

:oops:

Not sure why the scepticism. It literally happened in 2018-19. This is the 2nd time around.

Haven't bothered to check, but hopefully the organiser has loosened the draconian and somewhat arbitrary rules regarding eligible boat designs from the last one. I think the last one was a rude awakening to a lot of people who consider such designs to be the pinnacle of seaworthiness & sneer at the more modern classes.

laika

Visit site
Has anyone bought one of those Joshua replicas? The list of entries doesn’t seem to mention anyone in that class. I can’t say it would be my first choice of ways to spend half a million euros

doug748

Visit site
Yes, the last one was a bit of a bore. An amateur event with classes would be much more interesting, there could well be a section for pre 1970 (or whatever) boats without excluding people who wanted to do the event. In effect bringing on board those folk who did the alternative Longue Route last time.

pandos

Visit site
Good podcast on Spotify featuring Don McIntyre....in it he explains the philosophy of the race and it makes some sense..as a challenge.

The guy also talks about other adventures...interesting character..

Sandy

Visit site
There was a stand at the Southampton Boat Show, I gave it a wide berth as Don McIntyre is using old hulls with modern sails, running rigging, clothing and food. How can this be an event that replicates a bygone era? The fact that so many competitors had so much damage in the least event spoke volumes.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Not sure why the scepticism. It literally happened in 2018-19. This is the 2nd time around.

Haven't bothered to check, but hopefully the organiser has loosened the draconian and somewhat arbitrary rules regarding eligible boat designs from the last one. I think the last one was a rude awakening to a lot of people who consider such designs to be the pinnacle of seaworthiness & sneer at the more modern classes.
I couldn't agree more. I think modern boats (whatever that means) should be allowed to compete, even in a separate class, if necessary. I'd genuinely love to learn how modern 32' - 36' designs make out without the benefits of weather routing and in the 90 kt ++ winds experienced by the last crop of contestants. The ban on electronic pilots also effectively excludes planing types, although I doubt they would be able to carry sufficient provisions for that length of time at sea. I have experienced 50kts+ a few times at sea, I can't even imagine what 90kts must be like.
The whole historic aspect is bollocks of course, just by the simple fact that the contestants are allowed to use modern communications and are tracked for safety purposes. This engenders a completely different mindset as to the preparedness to taking risks, when knowing that you probably have a fair chance of being picked up if you lose your rig.