GGR 22

zoidberg

Visit site
From the GGR 'Day To Day' posts...

Simon Curwen made contact with the RIB piloted by Sergio just off Punta Chocoi at the entrance of the Chacao canal.
Visibility is very poor with heavy fog in the area and he does not have a detailled chart.
The RIB will come very handy to guide him through the rocky area and traffic with the running tide before the fog clears off.
Puerto Montt was preferred to Puerto Ancud for the faster clearance process.

It seems some local sailors are helping organise things for Simon's 'entry'.

Frank Holden

Visit site
I was wondering what he was doing for charts.
You can only enter at Montt or Castro and I have never heard of anyone entering at Castro - officials would have to come down from Montt. Just wouldn't happen at Ancud.
Should be in town in time for dinner. That assumes the officials come today and he doesn't have to wait until the morning. Maybe fine dining isn't high priority just now anyway.

zoidberg

Visit site
There's a short video clip taken from a RIB accompanying Simon in 'Howdens', on flat water and in dense fog...... just like Plymouth Sound!

One assumes his charts of the area are rudimentary. I would not like to be trudging through the rock-strewn fast tidal waters of the Chacao canal in a 'peasouper', even WITH decent large-scale charts of the pilotage.... and GPS.

52679925835_aeb0cc6acc.jpg

I do hope he can get some decent sleep after a good dinner.

52679925795_628685f774.jpg

;)

Last edited:

Frank Holden

Visit site
Pretty unlucky to get fog, very lucky to get a 'pilot'. I've only encountered fog in Chile 3 times, once out on the 100 fathom line, once near Calbuco, and once down by Pto Eden, each time very lucky to have radar.
I see he reckons he will be on the move again very soon so maybe nothing major to fix. H/vane, dodger and key thingo for engine.
Is that a tear in the head of the mainsail or trysail? There is a good sailmaker in Montt if it is.

zoidberg

Visit site
It looks as though the winds are set fair for Kirsten, for this next 6-7 days.

Perhaps she'll get in a spot of sunbathing..... :LOL:

Frank Holden

Visit site
Has Guy Waites wrapped his hand in?
Yup, seems so.
Wanted to buy a second hand liferaft - in Hobart . Good luck with that.
Retiring totally was the only sensible option. The weather in the Tasman and south of NZ is going to be 'interesting' to say the least over the next week or so. He said - before he lost his raft - that he was thinking of going through Cook Strait to avoid bad weather!!!!
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/synoptic_col.shtml
MetService - Te Ratonga Tirorangi
And then there was the fact that he would be approaching the Horn in mid April. Of all the places in the world I would not want to be in April that would be it.

Attachments

• Gabrielle.jpg
    Gabrielle.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 5

zoidberg

Visit site
I would imagine there are lots of interesting options for Guy Waites now - not including heading across the Far Southern Ocean.

Frank Holden

Visit site
At 2300Z he was passing east of Buta Chaques -top of first chartlet - so made an evening start from Montt.
A few shallow bits to avoid but I think they are all lit.
80 miles until he is clear south of Isla Chiloe.

Edited as read the time rong -- ooops.

Attachments

• CorcovadoNorte.jpg
    CorcovadoNorte.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 13
  • CorcovadoSur.jpg
    CorcovadoSur.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 13

zoidberg

Visit site
52685566897_9d030ee42d.jpg

He's missed the ROCAS.... for now.

Meanwhile, Kirsten is having a quiet night's sleep, just jilling along at 3.5 knots.

:)

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
This is on the GGR site.

@guywaitessailing is still docked in Hobart, taking a brief pause in his journey back to France. He's preparing to replace his life raft, eager to get back out on the open seas. Despite he officially is now retired from the GGR, Guy continues to finish his circumnavigation.

While he will no longer be appearing on the official GGR tracker, no further official messages and radio calls , Guy's dedicated team will taking over. Keep an eye out for his own YB tracker, which will be available soon...and of course we will continue to share important updates of his journey here with you.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Also this:

GGR 2022 - Simon Curwen is returning to an anchorage yet to be decided. He sailed out into 30kn gusting 40kn SW headwinds and not making pleasant progress, so has decided to make for a safe anchorage and wait for a few days. He has chosen an anchorage on the northeast of Isla Guamblin, approx. 50 miles further SSE of his current position.

Contrary to what you will hear in this report, we have now strongly recommended to turn around and sail downwind NE of his current position to seek shelter in a bay between Isla Guaiteca and Isla Marta. It will be his choice, but he is currently sailing on a LEE shore without a reliable engine. WE have allowed the use of his emergency GPS and will provide weather information and navigation advice once he decides his preferred refuge. He has not asked for any other assistance and all other systems onboard are well.

Frank Holden

Visit site
Isn't it likely he was aided with local pilot/ sailing directions assistance entering and leaving the pit stop?
Yes, he was guided into Montt - all the way from Carelmapu - by someone in a RIB. Outwards I would imagine he was given general advice and I doubt it included the dreaded blue line. I know I wasn't and on my first outing to San Rafeal I was- according to my plotter - right on the dotted blue line down by Cayo Blanco when I passed within twenty feet of a horrible pointy thing just barely under the surface. A minute before I had been in about 100 metres. Back in Montt speaking to a friend who was doing survey work for the salmoneras 'Oh you never go near those areas, they are left unsurveyed cos there are so many hazards in them.'
I'm not familiar with the anchorage he is heading for and I would suggest someone has just noticed the anchor symbol on the chart and said 'this will do!'. According to the 'Pilot' the anchorage - Low Bay - is 12 to 17 fathoms, sand.
Chartlet attached.
By my reckoning he should be there by dark. He had about 30 miles to go at 1600Z

FORECAST ZONES ONE TO EIGHT VALID 131100/132300 UTC.
(ARICA TO LAT 60 DGS SOUTH FROM LINEA OF COSTA TO 200 MN).
GALE WARNING GUAFO LIGHTHOUSE TO SAN PEDRO LIGHTHOUSE SECTOR VALID FROM 122200 TO 130600 LOCAL TIME.

ZONE SIX (P.MONTT TO F.SAN PEDRO):
POSTFRONTAL UNSTABILITY.

ZONE SIX (P.MONTT TO F.SAN PEDRO):
BROKEN TO OVERCAST, VIS 6/10 KM SHOWERS, WIND W/SW 20/30 KT GUST 40 KT, SEA STATE ROUGH TO VERY ROUGH (3.0/5.0 M) SWELL FROM W/SW IN OCEANIC AREA.

Attachments

• marta.jpg
    marta.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Guaitecas.jpg
    Guaitecas.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 11