GGR 22

zoidberg

Visit site
Guy de Boer's boat 'Spirit' stranded on Fuerteventura has been recovered using a lifting crane and team.

52381204019_2dab48ab94_z.jpg

Looks like it'll sail again....

Blueboatman

Visit site
Thanks for posting that
Great news
Salutary reminder to us singlehanders ahem and our insurers and their restrictions eh!

zoidberg

Visit site
Interesting to have a peek at the Race Tracker.....

Kirsten N. is on quite a charge, and is now closest to the leader, Simon Curwen, at about 65nm.
He seems almost stalled in a 'quiet' part of the Doldrums.

ridgy

Visit site
Guy has posted a video on his Facebook page of the damage and it's a real mess. He seems to think it will sail again. Seems unlikely to me.

zoidberg

Visit site
Simon Curwen has now pulled out a lead of about 300nm over No2 Kirsten.
Others are languishing in the Doldrums....

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
On the subject of languishing....

From what I can make out on the tracker, Guy de Boers yacht has been moved to Gran Tarajal on Fuertaventura.

To me that seems an odd choice but obviously his insurers are happy. Bit of an epic low loader journey to a small yard. I'm sure they can do the job. Lots of experience with fishing vessels and the odd yacht. Getting g stuff sent there might be interesting and a bit long winded.

However it's a lovely little town even if it is a bit out of the way. Good luck for the repairs.

Ravi

Visit site
Hi all.

If like me, you are trying you keep up to speed with this fabul;ous race which has the most pathetically amateur reporting, you may not have discovered that you can listen to media inteviews of the sailorsrs on Soundcloud. ( ).

These occasional voice inteviews witrh the cmpetitors are a bright star to contrast with the awful media work from the rest of the race. you get a feel for the personalities and state of mind of the skippers and the interview questions, although formulaic, are interrogative and the reports are informative.

Enjoy.

zoidberg

Visit site
Monday morning, and Simon Curwen is stretching his legs southwards.
The other four in the First Division - Tapio, Abilash, Pat and Kirsten - are also turning on the taps, straining to whittle away at Simon's near-two day lead.

Rather further behind, the Second Team....

But, remembering that a tactical decision gone wrong ( as in Goodall's 'stalling' in the South Atlantic ) or a 'difficult' depression can upend everything, there's a lot more to come.

Ravi

Visit site
Interesting wind development. According to Windy, the wind has shifted to the South and boat speeds and reflect this. Current wind direction has more SE, than the usual expected ESE. Significantly, this direction is forecast to be maintained for the next few days. The wind direction is approximately from 125 degrees.

This makes the relative (longituduinal) positions of the boats even more significant.

1. Simon has a course of 174 degrees to the 'mark' at Enseada de Portugueses
2. Best positioned is Abilesh, furthest to the East, has a course of 190.
3. Kirsten, who is furthest West, has the worst wind angle with a course of 169 - 56 degrees off the wind.
4.Tapi has a course of 186.
5. Pat has a course of 183.

So, Abilesh - in second - has a 21 degree better wind angle than Kirsten and a similar advantage over the leader, Simon. Not insignificant.

Simon has a healthy lead over the chasing pack so he will surely start the next leg in the lead.

Kirsten is further back, at the same latitude as her 3 closest rivals, so she will suffer most from her decision to choose the Westerly route . She has already lost out to Abilesh and Tapi in the last 24 hours and she is likely to lose further ground. She seems to have gambled on the theory that the Easterly trades often split into NE winds above Recife/Natal with the wind swinging South Easterly south of Recife. The Recife South Easterly would have given her a nice reach down to Enseada de Portugueses. That was the case last week when when the Easterly trades prevailed (and probably will be the case next week) - but it looks like, this week, the weather Gods have decided to have SE trades, so there is no Recife swing for her.

The other three are likely to make inroads into the lead over the next few days with Abilesh best positioned to cut Simon's lead to under 200 miles by the time that they turn for the Cape.

A proper race, indeed.

2022-10-10-angles.PNG

flaming

Visit site
Do you think there will be a significant speed difference in that wind angle difference? I'd have thought the polars for that type of boat would be pretty even across those angles?

Ravi

Visit site
Do you think there will be a significant speed difference in that wind angle difference? I'd have thought the polars for that type of boat would be pretty even across those angles?
I would say that the 21 degree wind angle between the most Easterly and Westerly boats is significant for boat speed and for comfort. Thisis born out by the fact that the others have moved ahead of Kirsten on the leaderboard.

If the angle is the difference between being able to fly a spinaker/gennaker, particularly so. In the case of Kirsten, the angle may soon require her to tack - which will impact her VMG and be more physically wearing.

1 additinal knot of boat speed would be about 100 miles advantage over the 4 days to turn for te Cape.

Since I posted the different angles, Abilesh has headed W (at high speed) and is now on a similar angle of approach to Pat and Tapio who are just behind him. and Simon who is ahead.

Abilesh's decision to take a more Westerly course is an interesting one. Tapio seems to be holding his course for the mark and is now the most Easterly of the leaders. It will be interesting to see which of the two gets to Ensada de Portugueses first. My money is on Tapio - by a very narrow margin.

jlavery

Visit site
Looks like he's done his stop. Doesn't seem to have lost much of his lead, well, lost 40nm, now 160nm approx ahead. Or did he actually stop? This is positions at 1200 UTC today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015-134900_YB Races.jpg
    Screenshot_20221015-134900_YB Races.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 10