Getting the boats back again?

graham

Visit site
One question in my mind is . Will you all turn round and head back after suitable celebrations ,boat repairs etc or come back as deck cargo on a ship?

JREdginton

Visit site
From what I can gather some will stike out for the otherside of the pond, some will sail home, as yet no one has mentioned shipping boats back.

For may part, assuming I make it, I'll spend a few days chilling, fly SWMBO out for a few days R'n'R then the pair of us plan to sail the boat back to the UK.

Could be interesting, June to soon, July stand by...

CPD

Visit site
Yep, thats my plan too. Solo out, SWMBO solo back while I sleep /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
My plan is to leave the boat out there until November (again, assuming success) when the ARC crowd turn up. Fly back out, hob-nob with them for a bit (good copy) and then sail back to Gib area for the winter.

Early in 2009 start moving her up into the Med. Being small (7m) she should be able to tuck into most of the crowded marinas, and I have friends and family in Ampuribrava (bay of Rosas - long way North)

By moving her up the coast gradually during the year, I could then bring her back in time for the 2010 JC via the French canals, another great trip.

If anyone could advise on sailing north from the Canaries that late in the year, I'd be obliged!

I will be exploring the feasability for shipping back, just in case, but I suspect that the fees may be a lot more than the boat is actually worth.

In the press release on the JAC 2008, Ewen suggests that some of the boats may decide to race back as well, which could be another option.

As you may have guessed, nothing concrete yet, but lots of exciting possibilites.

Definitely going to chill a bit if I make it, though. Churlish not to!

CPD

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
From what I can gather some will stike out for the otherside of the pond, some will sail home, as yet no one has mentioned shipping boats back.

For may part, assuming I make it, I'll spend a few days chilling, fly SWMBO out for a few days R'n'R then the pair of us plan to sail the boat back to the UK.

Could be interesting, June to soon, July stand by...

[/ QUOTE ]

On a more serious note, it could be quite fun, if people were up for it, to perhaps organise (if it isnt being done anyway) a return race/flotilla to get back. Anyone up for it ??

JREdginton

Visit site
I'm game, but it will almost certainly be 2 handed, I don't think SWMBO would forgive me if I flew her out and back and she missed what may be a one and only chance in a lifetime.

Noddy

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that the sail back will be mostly downhill?? (there is a gnomic projection joke in there somewhere)

Are there any seasonal considerations?

JREdginton

Visit site
Should be mainly downhill /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Seasonal stuff is the risk of increasingly deep depressions coming up behind you, got stuffed a few years ago early June with 3 days of 40-70Knt winds and HUGE seas on a run back from Horta to Falmouth. But, statisticly should be OK (don't you love statistics)

G

[ QUOTE ]
My plan is .......

By moving her up the coast gradually during the year, I could then bring her back in time for the 2010 JC via the French canals, another great trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone on this forum have first-hand experience of the French Canal system ?
I've just got hold of a copy of the VNF tariffs 'en Anglais' - and it all makes sense (and good value) except for one requirement:
For issuing the permit they require a photocopy of "the navigation licence, sea chart or French naturalisation certificate, as well as evidence of the engine capacity."

Any idea what they're referring to ?

Colin

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
So French administration like. It's like Crikket you must be born with to understand.
In France they is a inner-water "driving licence" for the boats powered by more than 9 HP (I think). So you must provide or a licence (sea or unsalted) or an evidence of the engine power.
Probably if you have a "sea licence" you must have something in addition to cover the canal signals knowledge.
For the Brits the European regulation may apply in a way or another to create a specific case.
"Why going an easy way when it might be complicated".
Eric

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

G

Bonjour Eric

ICC = International Certificate of Competence (Basic Boat 'Driving Licence') - equivalent to a Helmsman's certificate.

The CEVNI (Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure) is an endorsement to the ICC, demonstrating knowledge of French Inland Waterway Signs/Signals/Protocol. Issued after successful written test.

Maybe these are what the VNF require ?

Colin

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour Colin /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
More intelligible now.
In France we don't have the ICC as such. We of course set up things "similar" but only for motor boats. Sea and watterways are distinct worlds.
I suppose that the CEVNI is required in complement to sea licence.
I'll check and come back.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

andlauer

Visit site
I found an official paper (prf format) in french only of course.

http://www.mer.equipement.gouv.fr/actual...aviga_inter.pdf /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
For boats less than 15 meter and speed less than 20 Km/H there is only a theorical qualification.
Probably the CEVNI but not mentionned with that name.
Strangers visiting France are not considered !
As lost of Brits are sailing to Paris it must be quite easy. (Read properly :I never wrote that Brits could be stupid !) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Eric