Getting mail sent ahead to a marina/club etc?

Kelpie

Visit site
So as of last Sunday, we are now full time itinerant liveaboards. Currently working our way south and aiming to cross Biscay before the weather turns against us.

Inevitably, I've discovered a couple of things that I need to buy which are only available online. Nothing massive, the most critical thing being a cable which connects my laptop and MPPT (didn't realise I needed it to set parameters for lithium ...)

What's the etiquette on having post delivered to a future port of call? I can imagine it being no problem for a berth holder, but maybe more of an issue for a visitor just passing through. And is my best bet likely to be HM, marina, or club?

FWIW I'm looking at Holyhead as a possible option, as I think it's unlikely I would not end up stopping in there.

syvictoria

Visit site
I don't imagine that there's a generic answer to this and it will very much vary from location to location. However, an Amazon locker, or courier pickup location/shop, might be other options?

ryanroberts

Visit site
This should certainly work in the UK, but I've personally had trouble persuading one (town!) post office that Poste Restante exists!

Yes I have only ever got funny looks trying it. And it only works for the larger proper post offices not the small ones.

johnalison

Visit site
I needed a delivery of medical stuff once. I had a word with the harbourmaster (Weymouth) in advance and it went through OK.

Quiddle

Visit site
I've had loads of stuff delivered to marinas in UK, France, Spain and Portugal, including a bike, and never had a problem. Just email to check in advance. The only place to question it was Preston which charges for handling deliveries but they waived the fee as it was a one off.
I've also never had a problem using Poste Restante in those countries. La Poste, Correos and CTT Correios all have details on using it on their websites.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I've had loads of stuff delivered to marinas in UK, France, Spain and Portugal, including a bike, and never had a problem. Just email to check in advance. The only place to question it was Preston which charges for handling deliveries but they waived the fee as it was a one off.
I've also never had a problem using Poste Restante in those countries. La Poste, Correos and CTT Correios all have details on using it on their websites.

Posting from UK to an EU marina to await collection may not be an option any longer due to import problems with collection at customs post office. If not collected within a couple of weeks, do they send back?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've had stuff delivered to me at Port Bannatyne Marina, Oban Marina, Kilmelfort Yacht Haven and Crinan Boats. All were fine with it, though I did let them know in advance to avoid them saying "Who?" and sending it back.

I've only used Poste Restante once, at St Ives in Cornwall, and it worked fine. The Post Office guide to it is at Poste Restante | Post Office

KompetentKrew

Visit site
This should certainly work in the UK, but I've personally had trouble persuading one (town!) post office that Poste Restante exists!
Me too - the post office at Hedge End found the whole concept totally alien and told me to try the depot.

I would always try to arrange things in advance - just phone the marina you intend to berth at, @Kelpie - but if I couldn't do that and had to chance it then I'd now choose a marina over a post office.

Marinas tend to have a set of A-Z cubbyholes, with parcels behind the desk, or a separate closet or shelf for itinerants' mail. I doubt they usually check if the recipient exists before putting it there, or they will guess you may arrive soon. As a full-time cruiser, I can tell you they are used to us.

Mister E

Visit site
So as of last Sunday, we are now full time itinerant liveaboards. Currently working our way south and aiming to cross Biscay before the weather turns against us.

Inevitably, I've discovered a couple of things that I need to buy which are only available online. Nothing massive, the most critical thing being a cable which connects my laptop and MPPT (didn't realise I needed it to set parameters for lithium ...)

What's the etiquette on having post delivered to a future port of call? I can imagine it being no problem for a berth holder, but maybe more of an issue for a visitor just passing through. And is my best bet likely to be HM, marina, or club?

FWIW I'm looking at Holyhead as a possible option, as I think it's unlikely I would not end up stopping in there.

If you can not find an alternative then you can send the stuff to me and I will get it to you at Holyhead or Caernarfon area.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I've had stuff delivered to me at Port Bannatyne Marina, Oban Marina, Kilmelfort Yacht Haven and Crinan Boats. All were fine with it, though I did let them know in advance to avoid them saying "Who?" and sending it back.

I've only used Poste Restante once, at St Ives in Cornwall, and it worked fine. The Post Office guide to it is at Poste Restante | Post Office
I too used it a couple of times at James Watt Dock Marina; the key seems to be letting them know in advance.

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks all. Having now found that we should be able to enter ROI we will probably stick to the east side of the Irish Sea. Going to try Bangor as our mail forwarding spot. It's slightly earlier than we would ideally want but if we have to wait a couple of days for mail to arrive we can go and explore Belfast.

lustyd

Visit site
Having now found that we should be able to enter ROI we will probably stick to the east side of the Irish Sea. Going to try Bangor as our mail forwarding spot. It's slightly earlier than we would ideally want but if we have to wait a couple of days for mail to arrive we can go and explore Belfast.
I believe ROI is on the west side of the Irish sea. It's been a while since I sailed there though...