Getting Back

CPD

Visit site
Is it me, or have we already touched on this subject, and have some posts been removed ?????.

Anyway, it has been very quiet on here so what are our plans ?. I will be (if I make it that is) resting, repairing and refilling fairly quickly and coming back with Amanda who will be flying out to the Azores once Im there. What are other people planning ???

Saddletramp

Visit site
I think there were some posts on the yahoo site but they were mainly concerned with getting back from Newport in 2010.

Ideally I would want to come back with a crew. However, the timing is tricky. It is down to how long it will take, assuming you get there. In an article in this months YM a contessa 26 took about 20 days on the way back single handed. That is also assuming that there are no major problems and of course that you want to get back in the boat. Some one said that they may lay up the boat until winter. I think we need a couple of options. Thanks for raising it now.

CPD

Visit site
You are right, options are a must !. Its an interesting point you make as well, you may not actually want to get back in the boat, and to be honest, I hadn't thought about that. I guess the questions should have been the preferred option /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saddletramp

Visit site
I suppose the biggest constraint for most of us is going to be time. If we are fit and the boat is fit but we just do not have enough time to make the return journey we need a back up plan. I would like to know what the costs of laying up are in advance. What I do not want is to be put in a position which could ruin the whole experience due to cost. That would be awful having safely arrived. Increasingly I am thinking of a one way journey for now. That takes a whole load of pressure off and makes the whole thing seem more manageable. If I could do it in 4 weeks, with time for travelling I would be able to take more time off at a later date. Am I talking myself into this?

I must say though I would be inclined to e-mail work and say see you when I see you.

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Hi Alan

This is always a bit of a challenge with a long trip like this. My own plan is to leave the boat there and fly back, and then fly out again in November to coincide with the ARC. Planning to cover the start for PBO, and then sail the boat across to Gibraltar (or similar) prior to moving her up the Spanish coast the following summer.

Lots of logistics involved, and a sympathetic employer required.

I'm going to be doing some research on the costs of leaving the boat out there for the last part of the summer - and flights backwards and forwards. It's a popular jump-off point, so I don't know yet how much space will be available, or what the costs will be.

As Mac 77 says, the biggest restraint is time for those of us who have employers. The one-way trip and leaving the boat there is probably the best way to go, although I understand that some Jesters are talking about a return 'race'.

Fortunately, my boat is quite small - something I will proably regret when at sea, but be grateful for when finding a long-term mooring!

Saddletramp

Visit site
I have looked at the price of the marina in Ponta Delgada and it is about £900 for 12 months so cheaper than at home. Problem with flights is I do not see how they can booked in advance so will be pricey. I thought about going on to Portugal at a later date. Seems to make sense having gone all that way to be able to find a new cruising ground. However, I do not know about laying up in Spain or Portugal. From what I have read it seems more expensive and probably more difficult to arrange in advance because of demand. I think plan A is to stay in the Azores and take it from there. There will be more time to plan for the next stage.