Getting a 2nd hand boat cooker to Portugal

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Been offered one by a kind forumite, but can see no practical way of getting it to the Algarve.

Anyone got spece and heading that way? Unlikely I know, but just thought I would ask!

- W

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Can't swear on this but if it's send out second hand part or repaired goods value 0 ,
There possibly be no vat or duty charge
Of course with a 0 value if it get lost you probably won't be able to put a claim .

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Can't swear on this but if it's send out second hand part or repaired goods value 0 ,
There possibly be no vat or duty charge
Of course with a 0 value if it get lost you probably won't be able to put a claim .

Carriers insurance is often based on weight rather than value of goods so claiming is often pointless anyway. When I sent a new outboard engine out, I used Direct Transport rather than Algarve Express for this reason.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Since the start of this year I had several things sent out to me that I could only get in the UK and of a value that's not worth importing to stop paying vat twice on .
These goods have been sent to two different EU countries ,
I Normally get them sent to my son who repack them and send them out with a 0 value , so far I had no problem with vat or import duty or the carrier trying to add there cost .
The business I used have had free UK postages ,.
But there is the cost of repacking then , be it a bit of brown paper and postage but it's cheaper then paying vat twice and a carrier fee added on top .

Graham376

Visit site
If it's a direct replacement for the one you have now, strip it and take parts likely to be needed in hold bag.

P.S. Surely that price must be a mistake, do they think it's a full sized cooker? They brought 160kg of chain out for me last year for less than half that transport cost.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
If it's a direct replacement for the one you have now, strip it and take parts likely to be needed in hold bag.

P.S. Surely that price must be a mistake, do they think it's a full sized cooker? They brought 160kg of chain out for me last year for less than half that transport cost.

I gave them dimensions and weight. 600x500x500mm, 20Kg

They specifically mentioned 'post-Brexit' as a reason for the cost, the chain wojuld probably cost you a fortune this year.

Re. taking the parts - gas valves, burners etc - good idea, but the cooker is not here at the moment and it is too late to get it here. Anyway I would need a gas engineer or an outbreak of bravery.

Ayamar can get us a new one for 769,00 euros plus approximately 60,00 euros shipping and customs duty. We will just have to ask Santa nicely . . .

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
if you can get your hands on it, it's within hold baggage size for flying and you're just another tourist turning up with a large holdall so highly unlikely to be stopped.

Just checked and it is indeed within Ryanair's hold baggage limits . . . sadly it is too late to get m,y hands on it before we fly.

- W

shan

Visit site

Nope. Been through it pre and post Brexit and it's not.

shan

Visit site
I've used Algarve Freight and Express many times in the past but it's going to be cheaper to fly on a cheap return ticket and bring some stuff over in hold baggage than use them in future.
Yes, unfortunately, those are the consequences of choices made in Britain.

billskip

Visit site
They are certainly getting what they deserve... empty shelves, fuel shortages, labour shortages, dysfunctional government ..... or is that the sign of the UK economy pulling ahead of the EU laggards?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If the EU is so good why does everyone want to ship things from UK ?

Graham376

Visit site
If the EU is so good why does everyone want to ship things from UK ?

EU is good for new equipment, plenty of suppliers around and no problems with customs/VAT etc. For those who shop for second hand items on say Ebay and want to ship them over, it's no longer worthwhile but still makes sense if carrying personally.

Not knowing EU suppliers and language problems seem to be the main reason folks still prefer to shop in UK.

shan

Visit site
Another point - clearly people miss the ability to freely move goods back and forth from the EU to the UK without the hassle and red tape that has been the result of a certain event.