Genoa pole?

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've a wind surfer/dinghy mast, it's a grp? construction, tapered and light weight - would this be suitable for a booming out pole in light wind conditions? It's 3.25m long, ends approximately 52 and 34mm diameterat the ends. Obviously have to fit spinnaker fittings each end. But would it be strong enough as it would only be used in light conditions?

magicol

Visit site
I spent some of lockdown making a pole for just the same conditions and in the same way. I found a broken windsurfer pole that gave me about 2.7m of useable length. This proved adequate for the smaller self tacking jib on my 10.4m Hanse. I wanted a pole to help control the jib in light winds when not close hauled. I used selden spinnaker pole piston hooks; those for larger dinghies and for the wider end of the tapered pole, I used a selden pole end spacer. I strengthened each end of the pole by inserting off cuts into the hollow sections and screwing and glueing the piston hooks. The most expensive item was the mast plate I needed to fit to receive the pole end fitting. I wouldn’t use it in stronger winds but so far, it has proved well worth the effort.

William_H

Visit site
Yes the pole will be OK with some provisos. I use these kind of fittings which are crazy expensive but can fit inside or outside your pole end. Ronstan Spinnaker Pole End 38mm, $62.95 | Whitworths Marine
However you can use anything including just a slot cut in the pole end for the sheet with a bolt through to take pressure of sheet. Perhaps something similar on the mast end.
As said it depends on jib size but perhaps even more depends on length of pole. You can pole a jib out when running to almost right angles to centre line but this needs a long pole and forces become huge. Or you can pole a jib clew out to just outside gunwhales holding it steady when running and also useful when reaching (pole to leeward) with very little load on the pole. iee pole length about 3/4 of beam dimension. many people pole out from a single fitting on front of mast designed for spinnacker pole but actually a snotter (pole fixing ring) one on each side will be more aligned to the loads. ol'will