Gas bottle weights.... useful link

FairweatherDave

Visit site
After trying to decide if my bottle was half full or half empty I found this link
http://www.camping-gas.com/find-a-s...h-results-products.php?manufacturer=calor+gas

I felt it was the most useful after 20 mins of googling. So my blue calorbottle weighs 6.8kg, and the tare weight (empty weight) is typically 5.7kg so for my 4.5kg of butane I've only got just over a kilogram of gas left. So I'm taking my 8.8kg bottle to the boat instead, which is clearly 2/3rds full :).

All this so that I don't store a full bottle in the cavernous cockpit locker with no external gas "drain" (while I run the old bottle fully "out"). (I can use the old bottle up camping).
Hope the link helps someone.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Our LPG Cylinders have the tare weight printed printed on then. But I tend to weigh then fill record the total weight then when the weight of gas (9Kg in our case) has gone the cylinder is empty

I have a project on my list to make a load cell and PIC that I can set to 9Kgs and then count down to zero as a fuel level gauge.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Yes.The tare weight is printed on the aluminium collar on the cylinder but since it just says 13 and no units (in my case pounds) that information is not as helpful as it could be. Equally it is stamped on the cylinder on a plate,and then painted over so that you can't be too sure what you are reading. So correlation with Mr Google is nice.
Good luck with the scales project though Roger,that's beyond my requirements and abilities.

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
That's useful. I have just bought the bits to refill my Camping Gaz 907 cylinders. The cylinders are stamped as 3Kg, the web site states a Tare weight of 3.7Kg. I weighed my empty cylinder, 3.68Kg I think, before filling it and then added 2.75Kg of butane. As I had a total weight of over 5.75Kg I got a bit nervous that I had overfilled it, so ran some back to the Calor cylinder to get the weight down.

VicS

Visit site
That's useful. I have just bought the bits to refill my Camping Gaz 907 cylinders. The cylinders are stamped as 3Kg, the web site states a Tare weight of 3.7Kg. I weighed my empty cylinder, 3.68Kg I think, before filling it and then added 2.75Kg of butane. As I had a total weight of over 5.75Kg I got a bit nervous that I had overfilled it, so ran some back to the Calor cylinder to get the weight down.

907 cyls normally hold 6lb ( 2.72 kg ) of gas

If your actual tare weight is 3.68 kg when nominally full it would weigh 3.68 + 2.72 = 6.40 kg

you say you added 2.75kg gas. 3.68 + 2.75 = 6.43kg which would represent a very small overfill but you say you had a total weight of only 5.75kg. Why the discrepancy ?

how did you measure the 2.75?

Last edited:

fredrussell

Visit site
I fill my own Gaz 907 cylinders and never manage to get more than 6kg total weight. Its transferring from the big bottle so slowly towards the end of the process that I usually run out of patience. This despite putting the Gaz bottle in the freezer first. Quite happy with nearly 6kg total weight - about half a kilo less gas than I could have but cylinders still last an age on each fill.

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
907 cyls normally hold 6lb ( 2.72 kg ) of gas

If your actual tare weight is 3.68 kg when nominally full it would weigh 3.68 + 2.72 = 6.40 kg

you say you added 2.75kg gas. 3.68 + 2.75 = 6.43kg which would represent a very small overfill but you say you had a total weight of only 5.75kg. Why the discrepancy ?

how did you measure the 2.75?
What I meant was that I initially filled the cylinder to around 6.43Kg, but after getting a bit nervous that I may have over filled it because of the stamped empty weight of 3Kg and printed label on cylinder that stated 2.75kg of gas. I turned the whole lot over and let some of the gas drain back to the Calor cylinder until I had a total weight of 5.75Kg.

VicS

Visit site
What I meant was that I initially filled the cylinder to around 6.43Kg, but after getting a bit nervous that I may have over filled it because of the stamped empty weight of 3Kg and printed label on cylinder that stated 2.75kg of gas. I turned the whole lot over and let some of the gas drain back to the Calor cylinder until I had a total weight of 5.75Kg.

The tare weight is the figure stamped on the base ring preceded by the letter T.. They vary . I have one that's 3.50, one that' s 3.60 and one that's 3.70 in the garage at the moment

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Is case anyone missed it, Campingaz products are here

They do a cover, pity they don't do the tray.

We have been using some round flower pot bases for years now, at least I think that's what they are. My wife bought them in a garden centre 5-6 years ago. They fit the bottom of the locker with a little room to spare and are taken out for cleaning at end of each season. Bottom of the locker is still pretty clean.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
The tare weight is the figure stamped on the base ring preceded by the letter T.. They vary . I have one that's 3.50, one that' s 3.60 and one that's 3.70 in the garage at the moment

I don't think I've ever seen one as low as 3kg but can check my records. I weigh them when full and empty make it easier to keep track of what's left. Weights vary quite a bit and the only constant in Spain seems to be that they are always under filled by a fair bit.