Gallions point marina

Cantata

Visit site
Does anyone on the Thames forum know the answer? I went past there last week and from the river it looked deserted, no masts to be seen, half the outside name board missing etc.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
There was a thread on here about it and the woman at the yard was fairly militant about it in that she said they were going to stay there until ejected.

I had a drive down there earlier this year and the boats were still on the hardstanding but it did not look particularly like a functioning boatyard and not sure if their lock was operational.

Obviously there is the ship lock for access so the little lock is not technically required for larger vessels and work boats to access the docks.

An interesting area the London "Riviera" but I can't help thinking people might notice the awful and rather depressing noise nuisance from the runway. And the weather.

It may have been better to allow a slightly scruffy boatyard to carry on working.

Alisher Usmanov and Roman Abramovich I think not !

ianc1200

Visit site
Went in there once, sort of place you felt you needed a stab vest to go for a walk..... But it was OK boating wise as a different stop off point.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
there has been huge redevelopment of the area in the last few years. Blocks of flats everywhere. Loads of them.

I would find the jet noise rather unpleasant but if it was cheap it might be okay. Not sure what they think they can do with it as it is right under the end of a runway on a really quite busy airport. The planes are that close you could probably get them with a marble slung from a catapult.

not sure why this is in Bold as did not format it that way.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I am at the boatyard now. Was in the area so popped over to see.

Totally closed. RoDMA sign saying access after may 2021 is by appointment and boats left will be subjected to legal process for removal.

So almost all the boats have gone. Including the two old Grand Union narrow boats which had been here a few years on the bank.
A few wrecks still here but it's the end of the line for this place now.

Phone camera not working so can't get pictures.

Greg2

Visit site
In 2013 we did a Thames trip from our base on the Broads and we took the boat down the coast the week before our holiday so that we could get the best out of our time. We left the boat in Galleons for a week moored in a prominent position just inside the lock and close to the facilities block in what was fairly ‘industrial’ environment. It stood out a bit so we were a little apprehensive about leaving it. It wasn’t helped when we saw the steel roller shutters that were pulled down when the marina office closed at the end of the day! We needn’t have worried as she was absolutely fine and other bertholders were a friendly bunch, most of whom took a slight detour as they walked past to come and say hello. We were awoken at a not unreasonable hour by aircraft taking off but it wasn’t a major issue in our view.

A cost effective place to leave the boat for a week and it was a good facility for those that wanted to berth there. A shame it is no longer.

154F1B75-A0CD-4C9B-8BE2-2C5DB05E7484.jpeg5AD57B6A-A80A-43D8-A568-B8156BC0DC44.jpegBB75CD61-CBE2-4048-AB2A-3A2FD484AF8E.jpeg

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Just wondering if the River Roding is still navigable .

The marina at Barking looks like housing canal boats at the moment. I wonder also if the locks still function.

Other threads that may be of interest