Galley worktop source

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I need to replace the galley worktop but I'm having trouble sourcing laminate or laminated ply. I can find enormous pieces at big prices but all I want is a quarter sheet - especially as most of it will be cut out for the sink and fridge! All I ant is plain white or plain blue - either laminate or 12mm laminated ply. Has anyone found a place to get a small amount?

Tranona

Visit site
Robbins do laminated ply - local to you. However, suggest you also investigate local worktop makers as you are likely to find offcuts of laminate which you can glue to ply. That is what I did and even managed to get an almost perfect match for the original Bavaria laminate.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
AS an alternative: I used the waterproof bathroom hardglass mosaic, very practical, you can put a hot pan/kettle/coffee machine over it without leaving traces, it's very resistant, one can wash and brush with all sort of chemicals; you cut out/compose the shape you need (the squares are held together by a thin fiberglass net), glue them to the wood base, then fill it with a sort of mortar. Before it's dried you wipe out the excess with a sponge.
Helps to learn a little masonry too :)
I asked the price of a Corian piece for my odd shape (it would be one single piece from left to right, sometimes very thin, with cutouts everywhere) they did not even want to reply :(
I thought some small cracks might appear here and there, but after having shaken the boat quite robustly there are none.

piastrelle.jpg

Ammonite

Visit site
Corian looks a lot nicer in my view and is what I replaced the formica topped ply in my old boat, unless you are trying to match existing. It is more expensive but for that reason bespoke kitchen fitters hang on to the offcuts and I picked up a suitable 0.5" thick piece without problem. Its very satisfying / easy to work with using a router and can be very effectively glued if needed using a special colour matched two part adhesive. My local fitter even lent me the glue gun. It can also be cut with a jigsaw. A trip to a boat jumble around the same time also resulted in a lovely hansgrohe mixer tap for £15 that was apparently meant for a Sunseeker!

Top tip - if you remove the existing worktop carefully you can use your router to make an exact copy. Applies to ply or corian provided the edges are in good nick. Even if they aren't you can patch them up with a bit of filler although it may not matter too much depending on the trim / sealant used.

Last edited: