Gaff schooner sunk in Brixham

dom

Visit site
Doesn't the forum have some practical experience regarding hulk lifting?

What's needed here is a low-loader, something like this baby:
:)

1613732815833.png

dom

Visit site
The thought had occurred to me. Does anyone know what happened to Elizmor in the end? I think the last report was that she was still in Brighton, looking rather sorry for herself.

I moored beside her in Brighton a couple of years back and she looked in a truly sorry state, far beyond economic repair.

Which alas, she has been for some time now.

Sad though, as her hull certainly has(d) sweet lines.

Mark-1

Visit site
I moored beside her in Brighton a couple of years back and she looked in a truly sorry state, far beyond economic repair.

Under new ownership in 2016 according to the last thread.

trevbouy

Visit site
From Adam the Harbour Master :

"The plan is to replace the town pontoon now the vessel has been moved away. The vessel is alongside the Middle Pier but has once again collapsed so we will once again right her and look to lift her out of the water and dispose of her that way. "

So more viewing in the offing. Lifting her sounds like it could be fun.

dom

Visit site
Under new ownership in 2016 according to the last thread.

It does seem she can easily attract new owners, just not those with the means and wherewithal to sort her.

Even as an alternative lifestyle c.£10k p.a. on berthing + ins (Premier insist on this) + heating, etc., and she still won't work out that cheap.

I'm not sure why harbours and marinas allow these wrecks in at all, commercial ports often won't?

Mark-1

Visit site
It does seem she can easily attract new owners, just not those with the means and wherewithal to sort her.

Even as an alternative lifestyle c.£10k p.a. on berthing + ins (Premier insist on this) + heating, etc., and she still won't work out that cheap.

I'm not sure why harbours and marinas allow these wrecks in at all, commercial ports often won't?

Agree, and it's beyond me too. I can only assume it's harder to turn boats away than we think - even if they have "liability and the owner's gonna do a runner" written all over them.

Lock gates seem to help, I've seen a vessel denied entry which I'm sure saved the marina a ton of hassle....

Reactions: dom

burgundyben

Visit site
From Adam the Harbour Master :

"The plan is to replace the town pontoon now the vessel has been moved away. The vessel is alongside the Middle Pier but has once again collapsed so we will once again right her and look to lift her out of the water and dispose of her that way. "

So more viewing in the offing. Lifting her sounds like it could be fun.

Brill. Great viewing.

A big mobile crane topple would be nice if that can be arranged. ?

burgundyben

Visit site
For extra points, could we see the crane driver leaping out of the cab and splashing into the drink? Perhaps blocking the harbour or demolishing a fishing boat?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Looking at the junction with the pier to the road I would think they might have fun getting a gert big crane and transporter actually on to the pier for the lift.
Yes, even assuming the pier is rated for the ground pressure of such a heavy crane, which I doubt, it was probably just built for fish lorries etc.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site

Ellie, or her boat?