Gaff schooner sunk in Brixham

trevbouy

Visit site
Looks like they've gone off for either lunch or more equipment. The HIAB is probably to prevent it toppling over and blocking harbour. Yesterday at one point they slung a rope around the masts from each of the legs on the platform to prevent it toppling.
After yesterday and today I don't hold much faith in this lot. Next high tide is 2135 tonight.
That gantry is actually a training climbing frame for apprentice seamen house.

Hermit

Visit site
Low water is 15.38 her stern is well out of the water now, I wonder if they will have enough tide drop still left to get the gunwhales above the water and start pumping, if that is the plan they will have to leap into action very shortly
I suppose it depends where the water came in? If it was rain, then pumping is worthwhile. if there is a hole in the hull somewhere then pumping proabbly won't help unless the hole is bunged.

chrishscorp

Visit site
I suppose it depends where the water came in? If it was rain, then pumping is worthwhile. if there is a hole in the hull somewhere then pumping proabbly won't help unless the hole is bunged.

Dodgy hose or fitting could be sorted fairly easily, infact Diver may have already plugged them all, hole in the hull ? fill it with cement, it will happily set underwater. Just need a BIG pump, we will see soon enough.

dom

Visit site
Dodgy hose or fitting could be sorted fairly easily, infact Diver may have already plugged them all, hole in the hull ? fill it with cement, it will happily set underwater. Just need a BIG pump, we will see soon enough.

Arrgh ...not more cement! ? ?

:)

Binnacle

Visit site
Progress being made, but tiny pumps... (by ladder on barge)

zwEvpr9.jpg

Put a dehumidifier in the cabin for a couple of days, and she'll be good for another fifty years.

Binnacle

Visit site
She is definitely deeper down at the stern than an hour ago. Another pump (oblong box on the barge, so they may be dealing with yet another leak) or (conspiracy theory coming up !) she was scuttled .

Ah, the stern pump is now back in operation, and she is definitely afloat but judging from the roll period, still full of water .

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
She is definitely deeper down at the stern than an hour ago. Another pump (oblong box on the barge, so they may be dealing with yet another leak) or (conspiracy theory coming up !) she was scuttled .

Ah, the stern pump is now back in operation, and she is definitely afloat but judging from the roll period, still full of water .
The roll period was somewhat languid, even when she was under way!

burgundyben

Visit site
I think the people working on it would love it if they knew we had all been watching their progress!

@trevbouy - are you in a postion to tell them we have watched it all and thank them for a welcome bit of lockdown entertainment and also well done?

Meh.

Not enough drama. I'd have liked to see at least one failed attempt, some bursting air bags and a bit of crane damage. Perhaps the barge at an alarming angle!

Hermit

Visit site
Meh.

Not enough drama. I'd have liked to see at least one failed attempt, some bursting air bags and a bit of crane damage. Perhaps the barge at an alarming angle!
I think my level of 'thing' thats leads to excitement may be at an all time low...

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Meh.

You'll have to wait for tomorrows's exciting episode, when Sea Beast's mysterious history is revealed, a nail-biting drama as a huge trawler sails terrifyingly close to the salvage operations, and big Brian the crane driver comes out to millions of viewers live on air, and reveals he wants to be known as Belinda!