• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

IN ADDITION it seems that conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum. This is not the place for such content. Users who post it may find their access limited or permanently suspended. Please leave it where you find it.

Gaff schooner sunk in Brixham

Gary Fox

Just seen this, she is a ferro gaff schooner. I was one of the delivery crew who took her from Dover to Brixham a few years ago, her intended destination was Turf Lock Exmouth, she looked quite presentable and was capable of sailing back then.
I wonder what happened?
We were towed into BM with a broken injector pipe on the 6354. But the new owner seemed to have the resources to do what was needed. Very sad anyway. She is a heavy old 'beast', we tried to get her lifted at Sovereign Harbour for a scrub, and their 50 tonne hoist tripped out!
was Turf FC0B3932-FE3C-4AEF-B767-68D4CC44787B.jpegAD8AB62F-EA12-4929-965D-D26A340F09AF.jpeg

Last edited:

TernVI

Sad.
If it was insured , I suspect the underwriters will see the 'before' photo and think the boat was neglected.

Bajansailor

I wonder if somebody did buy her for Current Price: £113.11 as mentioned in the advert?

I wonder what 'went wrong' to cause her to sink?
Maybe failure of a through hull fitting?
Have you had a lot of rain recently? Although if she filled up gradually with rain, then surely this would have been noticed?

If she had at least a couple of watertight bulkheads then they might have helped to keep her afloat a bit longer until help arrived.

Re insurance, it is very difficult to get insurance for even a well found ferro boat, never mind one that is rather tatty.

Gary Fox

What would it have been costing to keep such a craft tied up on a pontoon was she for charter?
Private owner, and get this..she was his first boat!
I'm fairly amazed Brixham HM let her remain on the Heritage Pontoon so long, to be honest.

Gary Fox

I wonder if somebody did buy her for Current Price: £113.11 as mentioned in the advert?

I wonder what 'went wrong' to cause her to sink?
Maybe failure of a through hull fitting?
Have you had a lot of rain recently? Although if she filled up gradually with rain, then surely this would have been noticed?

If she had at least a couple of watertight bulkheads then they might have helped to keep her afloat a bit longer until help arrived.

Re insurance, it is very difficult to get insurance for even a well found ferro boat, never mind one that is rather tatty.
Zero meaningful bulkheads, and I had constant issues keeping the neglected machinery working. Probly a through-hull;
at least we can be sure it wasn't an insurance job :)
Although joking aside, it will cost a lot to raise and destroy her, who pays? Just out of curiosity.

pvb

Looks like the harbour authority was selling the boat to offset unpaid mooring fees. I wonder whether it sold? The auction notice doesn't appear to have a closing date. It could be that the harbour authority will end up paying the cost of removing the wreck.

burgundyben

I saw her last September. She was a sorry mess. The remains of the superstructure were disintegrating. That'll be a big recovery job.

Pete7

she's been dumped on the heritage pontoon waiting for die for as long as I can remember
She was on a mooring buoy in the outer harbour for a good 5 years before appearing on the pontoon.

trevbouy

If you want to see the masts at least, here is a live link to a webcam. It does a stop start tour of the harbour but dwells long enough to see it clearly. There's 3 web cameras in Brixham
Seems either the harbourmaster and others were 'inspecting' it around 9am today or just surveyers. In a boat with orange hi viz and lifejackets.

Brixham Harbour Cameras