Furling replacement

Slowboat35

Visit site
And here's a third + for sailspar continuous line reefing.

Talk to Tim Kingston, Kingston Rigging, Lowestoft.
A better and more keen, Professional rigger and s.s. fabricator you will not find.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I also had a sail spar on my previous boat - I improved it with a Rutgerson clutch on the reefing line - much easier when pulling in but has to be the type of clutch which can be disassembled in situ - I believe Spinlock make one now. Excellent reefing gear.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Another Sailspar owner here. Very pleased with how it works. I find it works better if the loop of rope is held slightly taught at the cockpit end, i have mine running through a small block which is pulled back to the pushpit. I also added a cam cleat to the coaming to stop it unfurling.

I notice the OP is in Stowmarket, my boat is in Shotley, so not too far to come if he wants to take a look at one.

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
I bought a second hand Sailspar single line furler to set up as a test rig to change our staysail from hanked on to furling. It works OK but you definitely need a taught loop for the furling line as PaulRainbow says. Another benefit is that the 'drum' is very shallow as there isn't miles of rope to fit in so it fits in smaller spaces or allows a longer luff length. This works for me in a different way as it's smaller diameter fits in to an angle where I have it above a self-tacking boom.

michael_w

Visit site
When my Hood Seafurl 2 wore out and having had no end of trouble with Selden furlers on a previous boat I had a Harken system installed. Works perfectly.

The problem with the Selden gear was down to badly translated instructions, exacerbated by poor design and installation.

Rosie1963

ramblinginrosie.blogspot.co.uk
Sorry to hi-jack this thread. I have tried to keep it East coasty!

My furler has given up the ghost (A 1980s Jeckells job). I can no longer economical to get parts or repair. So looking to replace. Sailspar and ProFurl have come in almost the same on the cost front. There is only the cost of a forestay between them, which will be around £100. What I like about Profurl is that they have a double slot in the foil. I am not a racer but it might be useful for downwind ocean sailing. What I like about Sailspar is the small diameter drum on a classic yacht (and I can drive 15mins to pick it up!) I am really not sure which way to go and need a prod one way or another.

bottomlesspit

Visit site
Thanks all for your comments and advice . Pleased to say, despite Facnor halyard swivel apparently being unserviceable, thanks to the wonder that is google, and a bit of thought, managed to dismantle, service/ renew all bearings in situ, and so far works a dream. hopefully a couple of grand saved

pvb

Visit site
Thanks all for your comments and advice . Pleased to say, despite Facnor halyard swivel apparently being unserviceable, thanks to the wonder that is google, and a bit of thought, managed to dismantle, service/ renew all bearings in situ, and so far works a dream. hopefully a couple of grand saved

Excellent! Well done.

johnalison

Visit site
Furlex works for me. Still going strong after twenty years, but I can’t compare it with others. Maintenance and care in use is the key for most of them.