Furlex advice

Caladh

Visit site
I am having the forestay renewed on my yacht and have been advised that it may be necessary to effectively break the lower drum assembly of
the Furlex to do this, entailing - you've guessed - as new forestay. I have a Furlex C and wondered if anyone has done/had this done recently and
can advise ? I had a Furlex B on a previous boat fairly recently and there was no issue when renewing the forestay.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
I am having the forestay renewed on my yacht and have been advised that it may be necessary to effectively break the lower drum assembly of
the Furlex to do this, entailing - you've guessed - as new forestay. I have a Furlex C and wondered if anyone has done/had this done recently and
can advise ? I had a Furlex B on a previous boat fairly recently and there was no issue when renewing the forestay.
That doesn’t sound right: Stargazer has a Furlex 200S and is about to have all standing and running rigging replaced. In preparation, the furlex drum is due to be dismantled, non destructively, so that the forestay can be replaced. It will be refitted, after the work is completed. By the way, I've been advised, by three seperate riggers, that the top swivel is a known failure point, as they age. So might be worth having that replaced, whilst the furlex is in bits....

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
That can't be right. Furlex normally dismantle well. Our Furlex has been apart a couple of times in the last five years. No problem

pandos

Visit site
My Furlex 100S has a cone fitting to secure the bottom of the forestay. This picture of a Furlex C looks similar.
View attachment 124496
It is usually advised to renew the cone when you refit it.
Sparepart lists : Seldén Mast AB
You have to change the cone because it will be fused to the wires...

I have a mutant furler with a furlex 304s drum and an ancient plastimo foil....many things can be done with these things if you look at them long enough.

I also have a full brand new set of 200s foils which are surplus to my needs...(because of the success of my botch) despite being told by rigger that it cannot work...(60 quids of precision welding and grinding of some 316ss and job done)

Look at the manuals on line for the actualodel you have.