Fully battened main

G

I am looking for a new set of sails. What are the views on sails for Extended cruising. Fully battened main? Hanked on Staysail with a set of reef points? Furling Yankee cut Jib (120%), Lazy jacks? Dacron, Cross or Radial cut? Triple stitched??? All the usual questions. While I am at it what about a sail loft, Hood, Doyle or a smaller more personal one.

Opinions and experiences greatly appreciated.

Charlie

G

I sailed with a friend last weekend and had my first experience with fully battened main and lazyjacks. I was impressed with the convenience and the only down side was the fact that when hoisting the main you has to do it fairly close to head-to-wind otherwise the main fouled the lazyjacks.

I prefer a radial cut roller genoa. The roller for sheer convenience and the radial cut jib for better setting and performance. If money were no limit I'd have a second blade jib for windier conditions. Despite all the exotic materials about for cruising Dacron takes some beating if you'll excuse the pun.

Hood sails are expensive but suberbly made but for a little less you can get sails in the same class. Parker and Kay are a good example. North another.

G

Hard Core blue water sailors tend to eschew fully battened mains because of chafe - the ends of the pockets wear through under the greater tension, and the middle of the pockets wear where they are in contact with the shrouds during long, off-wind legs. They even go the whole hog and have un-battened sails, putting up with the loss of sail area in exchange for less maintenance.

Personally, I would go for full battens for convenience and performance and I would combine them with single line reefing and a stack-pack type furling and stowing sytems.

There is a lot to be said for a yankee cut furling headsail - good visibility under it, good shape when rolled, less need to move genoa sheet cars - but again, I would opt for the better performance of a conventional cut, albeit a little higher than usual to improve vision and to prevent the foot from filling with water from the bow wave on a heavy weather beat.

I took the advice of a number of sailmakers when I bought a genoa four years ago and went for cross cut. they said it would be a lot cheaper than radial, set almost as well, roll better and keep its shape longer. After four years I am not convinced they were right, but I am not yet certain they were wrong.

Otherwise: Yes to Dacron, Yes to triple stitching, Yes to a hanked staysail with a set of reefing points (but carry a storm jib as well and, if you are planning a lot of serious ocean crossing, a trisail too).

Hoods are probably top dog and certainly top dollar. I would go for a local chap who comes with a good local reputation so you can discuss your needs and he can get to your boat regularly for measuring, checking and, inevitably, doing some detailed alterations. However, don't go to someone who does not seem to be on your wavelength. Sails can be a very personal thing and you need to be happy that you have got what you wanted.