Fuel filters on volvo penta 2002

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Just following on from this. The primary filter, the first one in line, is about the same level or just above the fuel tank I think (not on the boat now). In the absence of a priming pump to fill this filter, what's the best way to get the filter and bowl full of fuel?

Do yourself a big favour and fit a priming bulb while you're doing the filters, it's an easy job that takes, literally, five minutes. You just cut the fuel line at a convenient point between the primary filter and the engine, if it rubber hose just put the cut ends on the primer bulb with a couple of hose clips. If it's metal tubing you'll need to cut it and use a couple of short lengths of rubber fuel hose to join it to the primer bulb. Be very careful not to let metal filings go up the tubing when you cut it.

You can get a primer bulb from Halfords, Euro Car Parts etc.

Stemar

Visit site
Consider fitting a priming pump conversion to CAV filter
Or, better still. chuck out the CAV and fit a spin-on filter that will be a lot easier to change in a hurry if you need to. I went one better and fitted a pair in parallel, with taps to allow me to switch, so I run on one and can switch to the other in seconds. Total cost with bits from a car breaker and ASAP, about £50. The priming bulb's a good idea, too.

MJWB

Visit site
Do yourself a big favour and fit a priming bulb while you're doing the filters, it's an easy job that takes, literally, five minutes. You just cut the fuel line at a convenient point between the primary filter and the engine, if it rubber hose just put the cut ends on the primer bulb with a couple of hose clips. If it's metal tubing you'll need to cut it and use a couple of short lengths of rubber fuel hose to join it to the primer bulb. Be very careful not to let metal filings go up the tubing when you cut it.

You can get a primer bulb from Halfords, Euro Car Parts etc.

Paul for my understanding do I fit the primer bulb between fuel stop cock and before the first inline pre-filter? Or after the first inline pre-filter but before the fuel line gets to the engine?
In my novice ignorance I thought before the inline pre-filter but I think you are saying after.
Thanks.

ithet

Visit site
Regarding priming the VP2002. The engine priming pump can have a lot of free movement. Because there is a slight resistance this can feel like the proper pumping, it is not, you have to press a bit harder and further to actually work the pump. This has caught out two people I know of (one being me!). When used properly the little priming pump works fine and quick enough and I had no trouble priming the primary above the fuel tank. When bleeding the engine filter be careful not to strip the thread on the little air screw on top the filter, VP actually recommend loosening the larger screw on the filter.

Sandy

Visit site
This. I got it wrong on a new to me boat earlier this year (less haste more speed etc.), unsurprisingly failed to prime the filter properly, and ran the fuel lines dry. Then becomes a pain to sort! My filter is in really awkward position in corner of cockpit locker so tempted to fit priming bulb this winter.
There are times I think that the designers of boats are either made of rubber or from the planet Zog.

I had to move my primary filter from behind the engine and underneath the rear bunk as changing a filter was just not possible in a seaway.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Paul for my understanding do I fit the primer bulb between fuel stop cock and before the first inline pre-filter? Or after the first inline pre-filter but before the fuel line gets to the engine?
In my novice ignorance I thought before the inline pre-filter but I think you are saying after.
Thanks.

You can fit the primer bulb anywhere between the fuel tap and the engine (technically you can usually fit it up to the injector pump, but that's not normally done) whichever is easier/gives best access to it for bleeding. If you fit it before the primary filter you can open the bleed screw on the primary filter when you bleed the system, but if you fit it after the primary filter you don't undo the bleed screw or you just suck air in. Either location is fine.

MJWB

Visit site
You can fit the primer bulb anywhere between the fuel tap and the engine (technically you can usually fit it up to the injector pump, but that's not normally done) whichever is easier/gives best access to it for bleeding. If you fit it before the primary filter you can open the bleed screw on the primary filter when you bleed the system, but if you fit it after the primary filter you don't undo the bleed screw or you just suck air in. Either location is fine.

Paul thanks so much for your advice. I believe you have a business to run so I wanted to particularly thank you for the advice you stick on here. Many thanks.

Reactions: pvb