Fuel filters on volvo penta 2002

MJWB

Visit site
Tomorrow, part of my first go at a basic service and winterising a vp 2002 I'm go to change the in fuel line pre-filter and the one on the engine. Any advice please?

I'm not confident about this. Concerned about spilling fuel and concerned about air in the fuel system afterwards, how to get rid of it. So all advice gratefully received please. :)

vic008

Visit site
Go for it, not hard. Have the manual?(available on line)
Use nappies for any spill.
You bleed with the screw on filter top.

Moodysailor

Visit site
In different times, I would suggest paying a local reputable engineer to do it the first time whilst you watch and get advice. For a decent tip, most will be happy to share some hard-earned tips & tricks. These days, that probably won't happen so YouTube is probably a good place to start to go through the basics.

It's really easy once you've done it a few times. If it's the 296 type pre-filter (cartridge filter sandwiched between an upper and lower housing - VP 3581078), remember to change all the o-rings (there are between 4 & 5) - the one on the central screw is a potential for air leaks if damaged.

Never Grumble

Visit site
you need a container to catch the filter/fuel that spills out and an idea of what to do with the fuel that you catch, nappies are useful as are good quality large size food freezer bags. Some people use a cut down milk container. have the new filters prepared and ready to go back on. make sure you have switched the fuel tank cock off so you dont end up with the tanks contents in the bilges. I dont know the 2002 engine but you might have to rotate it a certain position to get the fuel pump to pump fuel through and air out.

scottie

Visit site
you need a container to catch the filter/fuel that spills out and an idea of what to do with the fuel that you catch, nappies are useful as are good quality large size food freezer bags. Some people use a cut down milk container. have the new filters prepared and ready to go back on. make sure you have switched the fuel tank cock off so you dont end up with the tanks contents in the bilges. I dont know the 2002 engine but you might have to rotate it a certain position to get the fuel pump to pump fuel through and air out.
Yes the engine can stop with the fuel pump cam up which stops the priming lever working

Easticks28

Visit site
If your engine has a decompression lever , operate it , turn off the sea cock for cooling and spin it over on the starter until it has bled through . Saves a lot of finger waggling !

johnalison

Visit site
Yes the engine can stop with the fuel pump cam up which stops the priming lever working
The 2002 will pump in all positions except one, unlike later engines which will only pump in one position. It is easy to tell from the feel of the lever when pumping. There should be some resistance as the lever is lifted. If not, then any movement of the engine should get it going.

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
Go for it, don't back away - watch Tinos stuff:

Oil:
Fuel:

I always serviced my own 2GM20 and was a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of doing my new boats lovely VP D2-55, however, Tinos videos make it simplicity itself.

eddystone

Visit site
My recollection was that Volvo Penta 2000 series manual misidentifies the bleed screw on the secondary fuel filter so if it won't bleed out check you're opening the correct screw. The primary filter/water separator is more fiddly because you've got a stack of O rings to get seated properly.

MJWB

Visit site
Let us know how you get on!

I did the oil and oil filter yesterday. Took it slow and thoughtfully. Determined not to end up with oil everywhere. lost a little removing the filter. Not quick enough turning it upright but all cleaned, yes nappies are great. Will do the fuel over the weekend. Have watched Tino's video on fuel filter change. Not sure I fancy his way of priming the pre-filter and am assuming that much pumping of the priming leaver at the end will prime first the pre-filter, then the second filter. I think someone has said worth fitting a priming pump to the pre-filter. That sounds excellent. I'll update on lessons learned once done.

MJWB

Visit site
My recollection was that Volvo Penta 2000 series manual misidentifies the bleed screw on the secondary fuel filter so if it won't bleed out check you're opening the correct screw. The primary filter/water separator is more fiddly because you've got a stack of O rings to get seated properly.

Thanks will remember that.

MJWB

Visit site
Noted this thanks. Seems to make sense so I'll have a look.

Just following on from this. The primary filter, the first one in line, is about the same level or just above the fuel tank I think (not on the boat now). In the absence of a priming pump to fill this filter, what's the best way to get the filter and bowl full of fuel?

Sandy

Visit site
Just following on from this. The primary filter, the first one in line, is about the same level or just above the fuel tank I think (not on the boat now). In the absence of a priming pump to fill this filter, what's the best way to get the filter and bowl full of fuel?
Just fill the bowl with fuel before fitting it or add a bulb pump upstream of the filter and use that to prime the fuel system.

arc1

Visit site
Just fill the bowl with fuel before fitting it or add a bulb pump upstream of the filter and use that to prime the fuel system.
This. I got it wrong on a new to me boat earlier this year (less haste more speed etc.), unsurprisingly failed to prime the filter properly, and ran the fuel lines dry. Then becomes a pain to sort! My filter is in really awkward position in corner of cockpit locker so tempted to fit priming bulb this winter.