Fuel Filling Problem

Dino

Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for cleaning diesel tank vent pipes. When I fill my diesel tanks the fillers back up and turn into a mini volcano of diesel. It happens in the last 1/4 when the tank is nearly full. I hear a gurgling noise and a few seconds later iget a projectile out of the fillers.
I have had a look for the vent pipes and they are copper pipes connected to the top of the tank. Do not very easy to disconnect and blow out.
The access to the skin fitting end seems difficult if not impossible.
I was thinking of opening the filler cap and getting a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle to try to vacuum out any debris. The skin fitting vent is a shiny cylinder with two small holes at the bottom.
Would it help if I used a collar around the nozzle to block air exiting the filler? Or is that a bad idea?

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I’d have thought you’d have been better finding something to blow (old fashioned vacuum cleaner?)into the filler whilst sealing the edges of the filler. Any crud should then be forced out of the vent outlet.

Or have I missed something??:oops:

Dino

Visit site
Thanks Jamie,
I hadn't thought of that option. I was going to try to remove the vent pipe at the top of the tank and blow it out but it's a rigid copper pipe with limited access. I didn't want to blow in from the outside as the crud would end up in the tank.
I'll try that and see if anything comes out.
Cheers!

penfold

Visit site
If you have access to both ends I'd consider removing the copper pipe and replacing with clear hose; if there are hanging loops in the pipe and they fill with fuel or debris it will cause the blowback you're experiencing, especially if the pipe is the usual tiny bore that boatbuilders fit because it's cheap.

Plum

Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for cleaning diesel tank vent pipes. When I fill my diesel tanks the fillers back up and turn into a mini volcano of diesel. It happens in the last 1/4 when the tank is nearly full. I hear a gurgling noise and a few seconds later iget a projectile out of the fillers.
I have had a look for the vent pipes and they are copper pipes connected to the top of the tank. Do not very easy to disconnect and blow out.
I was thinking of opening the filler cap and getting a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle to try to vacuum out any debris. The skin fitting vent is a shiny cylinder with two small holes at the bottom.
Would it help if I used a collar around the nozzle to block air exiting the filler? Or is that a bad idea?
All the fuel tank vent hoses i have seen have a bore that is significantly smaller than the fuel filler gun's bore so the vent is not intended to stop back pressure when filling, just to allow air in while underway to replace the fuel used by the engine. The main vent while filling is provided by the filling gun being a very loose fit in the filler kneck. Therefore, cleaning out the breather will have very little effect on your filling problem. You may just have to fill slower or change the filler pipe so it is shorter and all downhill with less restriction to flow rate. Some marinas have the larger diameter commercial filler gun, rather than the normal size you would find at a car filling station, which can cause excessive back pressure.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Reactions: vas

Momac

Visit site
I think someone suggested spraying into the vent with WD40 or similar .
I haven't tried that yet and not sure it will help.
I have one tank that fills fine and the other is a pain.
The tank that is nearest the filler is the one that blows back.
I have learned to live with it.

R400

Visit site
If the vent pipes are copper ther will be compression fittings available for the tube . Cut the pipe at both ends to rod thro with say apiece of wire, two st cons and job done. If it’s the vent pipe of course, agree that tanks are vented through the filler by the way hence small bore of vents.

Somerset Jim

Visit site
I had this problem with my previous boat and found that using the dinghy pump attached to the breather deck fitment sorted it. What ever was in the pipe was dislodged and all was fine.

jrudge

Visit site
Interesting !
I have a squadron 58 and get this all the time. Gurgle. Stop filling. Thing great I avoided it this time and then 30 seconds later a load of diesel out of the breather.

I just accepted it as it was what it was.

so is the theory that the breather is part blocked so the fuel froths up and then vents ? Not quite sure I follow the link between a blocked breather and fuel coming out of said breather but I would like to solve the problem !

vas

Visit site
I've heard lots of stories where wasps built their nests on the breather skin fitting (unless it's one that has a tiny ss mesh filter on the hole which can block byitself :) )

Dino

Visit site
It’s a pity that the vent fitting on the hull can’t be screwed off for cleaning. I’ll try a few options and see if it helps. Thanks for the input guys.
It has mainly happened when filling from a truck but it also happened using a regular filler.
It’s not ideal to have any sort of spillage these days and I’m sure it’s not great for my teak decks.

MapisM

Visit site
If your filler cap is on a teak deck, there is an essential trick that you should always use:
Rinse with a lot of water (either fresh or salt, doesn't matter) all the area surrounding the filler, before even removing the cap.
This way, any spillage will be MUCH easier to remove, well before diesel can stain the teak - which it definitely does, if dry.
BTW, depending on the material used, diesel can be aggressive also with caulkings.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I had this problem with my previous boat and found that using the dinghy pump attached to the breather deck fitment sorted it. What ever was in the pipe was dislodged and all was fine.
Correction, using MY dinghy pump sorted it out. Remind me whose idea it was..... :giggle: (y)

Dino

Visit site
Oh, the joys of family boating. I keep my boat on the same jetty as my Dad. Every Saturday in spring he’s hovering on the back deck waiting for me. “Will you have a quick look at this for me” turns into 6 hours in the bilge lying on a gearbox trying to fix something very awkward with cut hands. His boat is always ready for the season a month before mine.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Oh, the joys of family boating. I keep my boat on the same jetty as my Dad. Every Saturday in spring he’s hovering on the back deck waiting for me. “Will you have a quick look at this for me” turns into 6 hours in the bilge lying on a gearbox trying to fix something very awkward with cut hands. His boat is always ready for the season a month before mine.
Can I adopt you?

alt

Visit site
Dino - When filling from the truck, I always use the small nozzle. I warn the driver that I need to fill slow as we're on water and not a problem... how fast are you filling? I'm putting only approx 30-40l / minute and no problems. This slows down even more for the approx. last 100 litres. A €20 note to the driver before he leaves quickly gets rid of any frustration for having to hang around longer than he thought.

Dino

Visit site
Good tip Alt, I did slow it down a good bit last time but maybe not enough. The driver said that it tents to bubble or foam if run too slow. I think I might try topping up the last bit from cans slowly next time.
The €20 note is a great way to remove their frustration alright.

n.herring

Visit site
Had exactly this problem , tooth brush around the outside of the gauze on the vent cleared a build up of crud and solved the problem, only happened on 1 side , quite why it would happen on 1 side and not the other not sure.