Frustrating

paul salliss

Visit site
I need my fly bridge cushions replacing and the boat is on The Hamble.

Fed up with lazy people who can't be bothered to meet me on board and discuss this and other work they only want photo's and yet would no doubt be happy to ping out a quote for a lot of money.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated.

ontheplane

Visit site
Um I hate to point out the obvious, but as non-essential retailers they wouldn't be allowed to meet you on board until next week.

I think they aren't so much lazy as following the law.

oldgit

Visit site
Boaters round here usually find that those companies that primarily cater for the caravan market, usually found in coastal areas, tend to be more interested in your business and at very competitive prices.
A fellow boater has just had his Fairline 36 saloon refurbished by this company.
They visited to measure up and job was completed 3 weeks later.
Just over £1200.
The skipper and crew were impressed with speed of service and price.
My helm seat needs sorting but the "Explosion-inna-paint factory" fabric is no longer available.Probably with good reason.

Last edited:

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
Boaters round here usually find that those companies that primarily cater for the caravan market, usually found in coastal areas, tend to be more interested in your business and at very competitive prices.
A fellow boater has just had his Fairline 36 saloon refurbished by this company.
They visited to measure up and job was completed 3 weeks later.
Just over £1200.
The skipper and crew were impressed with speed of service and price.
My helm seat needs sorting but the "Explosion-inna-paint factory" fabric is no longer available.Probably with good reason.
That is what we have found. I have to say that it appears to be hard work dealing with the marine industry. There has been a few high spots where companies have really assisted, but in general response have been poor or non-existent.

I wanted a quote for decking and contacted quite a few suppliers, most haven’t bothered to call me back, one did, who said he was booked up until Sept and apologised for not being able to assist.

Switch

Visit site
Comfort afloat in Gosport are top notch. They’ve just re/upholstered my saloon sofa and they did a great job. If you can remove your cushions why not take them to them?

Rappey

Visit site
Is it not possible that marine upholsteres may have templates for many boats so a pic would be to make sure everything is standard before submitting a quote?
Maybe if you accepted it they may turn up and measure?

simonfraser

Visit site
Peeps are holidaying in the UK
boats caravans gardens, anything to do with that is super busy
why not go for the low hanging fruit ?

penberth3

Visit site

Fed up with lazy people who can't be bothered to meet me on board and discuss this and other work they only want photo's and yet would no doubt be happy to ping out a quote for a lot of money.

Sending photos and dimensions is a good first move, and takes little effort from yourself. Visits and discussions can happen later.

paul salliss

Visit site
Um I hate to point out the obvious, but as non-essential retailers they wouldn't be allowed to meet you on board until next week.

I think they aren't so much lazy as following the law.
Nonsence, there are heaps of people in the industry working as per normal and taking all sensible and correct precautions, no this is just good old can't be arsed

paul salliss

Visit site
Comfort afloat in Gosport are top notch. They’ve just re/upholstered my saloon sofa and they did a great job. If you can remove your cushions why not take them to them?
Happy to do that, just amazing when you ring companies based in and around the Hamble and they still can't be arsed

Paradis

Visit site

Paul - my goto 'fix it' contact who looks after all maintenance on my Princess V42 is Bryan @ Marine Pro based in HYS Hamble - try marineprouk@googlemail.com or Bryan on 07934 777821

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Nonsence, there are heaps of people in the industry working as per normal and taking all sensible and correct precautions, no this is just good old can't be arsed

Or perhaps they just want to keep themselves and others safe and actually don't think somthing as non essential as your new cushions are that important..... Which they arn't.... What is wrong with the old ones for now.... Some people simply don't get it

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I was thinking about this thread and I wonder if the OP actually realises that Just because they want something done by others those people are not required to dance to your tune .or actually required to be Arsed to help you

Perhaps you should Scream and Scream and Scream and Scream until you are sick. Or of course you could learn to do the cushions yourself. I sincerely hope we are moving to a world where being able to do things for your self is more valuable than simply having money.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Regarding boat sales a, surveys and sea trial , I and others I work alongside have not stopped carrying out this type of work with others on board , as far as I know it’s all been legal with the appropriate health and safety measures in place .

back to helping Paul , try Karen at A1 covers on Southampton, but be aware all the trades are absolutely flat out at the moment .

Bigplumbs

Visit site
It’s his hobby horse. Anyone who doesn’t follow his interpretation of the rules/guidance is wrong/evil.

Or perhaps I understand what is important and what isn't. And fly Bridge cushions simply are not. Keeping people safe is

I suspect you are someone else who thinks that just because you want somthing done people have to do it for you. and why because you have some money to pay them. You have so much to learn

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Regarding boat sales a, surveys and sea trial , I and others I work alongside have not stopped carrying out this type of work with others on board , as far as I know it’s all been legal with the appropriate health and safety measures in place .

back to helping Paul , try Karen at A1 covers on Southampton, but be aware all the trades are absolutely flat out at the moment .

It may be legal it may not have been. But was what you were doing in any way essential......... Well the answer to that is no it wasn't. Many other people myself included have been prepared to forgo many thousands in earnings others not so...... Well I suppose it is their right to be selfish

Bigplumbs

Visit site
And soon I will hear people banging on about the economy...... Well history tells us that economies recover. Dead people don't