Fresher Underwear

Gargleblaster

Visit site
From 'A Teacup in a Storm' by Mick Conefrey, Harper Collins, 2005

How to always have a fresher pair of underpants on a long expedition

1. Take two pairs of underpants or knickers, A + B.
2. In week one wear pair A.
3. In weeks 2 and 3 wear pair B.
4. In weeks 4 and 5, wear pair A, which having only been worn for 1 week, is now fresher than pair B.
5. In weeks 6 and 7, wear pair B which having only been worn for 2 weeks is now fresher than pair A.
6. And so on and so on.....

helixkimara

Visit site
Well John,
That solves a major storeage problem.
Note to self: "remove 18 out of the 20 pairs of undies, replace with socks and instructions for undie wearing" Excellent !

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
You missed out the bit where you turn them inside out every time, then you can change them every week /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(Posted by someone with first hand experience on long expeditions with no access to water for washing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
it is not only the underwear!!!
Polar are terific and boots are worse!
I found some "Nasa"sockes with silver wires that limit the smell....

My elder daughter, she was at the JC start, remembers driving me from Morlaix to the bathroom at my elder boy's house (50 Km). It was rather windy and rainy on August the 13th 2007. She had the choice between openning the car windows, being wet and making a fool of her father or supporting bravelly the nice dady smeel!!!
As she is a very nice girl (she has a boyfriend) I only learnt about the dilemna after the nice warm delishouss bath, once I had an old wisky glass in hand!
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Eric, at least you had someone who would tell you about your smell even if it was after your shower. When I arrived in Newport, even though it was early in the morning, I had had three nights without a decent sleep what with fog, shipping lanes and fishing boats. So I slept the day through after clearing customs. A neighbouring boat where I was anchored near the Ida Louis Yacht Club insisted on taking me to dinner that night. I managed to phone home so that everyone knew I was ok after 7 weeks. But the only showers my neighbouring boats where aware of were in the Seaman's Church Institute and that closed at 1730[local time]. I had had a wash with a hot wet flannel and a change of clothes. However I had no idea whether or not my body odour was pervading the restaurant where we ate. The restaurant was open to the air and I hope that if I did have body odour it was blowing out into the street or into the harbour. The shower next morning at the Seaman's Church Institute was heaven.
I usually have an all over wash when it rains. But on my crossings in 2007 it was generally so rough that I was getting as much salt water over me as I was fresh. I had had a good rain shower and wash in relatively mild conditions about 5 days out of Newport. Coming into Falmouth, while I had had complete cloud cover for two weeks, next to no rain. But at least after checking into the marina my first stop was the showers. I apologised to the marina manager for what I perceived must have been a waft of body odour , but received no comment in reply but they must be used to it in Falmouth.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour John
Next time you arrive in Newport (in 2010 or 2011 probably) the NYC sanitary including showers are available day and night. They are hosting the Jester Challengers.
Eric

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Not under the belt at all! There is a great admiration on what you did behind the humorous writting!
An "aller et retour" with just the minimum halt time to dry the half sunk cabin and change the wind indicater that had been broken by a wave (In a heavy knock down!). "Chapeau bas" Monsieur John !!
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif