Fresh Water supplies

G

Well, sorry if that's too much information - simply a hangover from my military days when we marked one corner of a towel and used that as a 'working' flannel when operating in the field.

So what plans do others have for maintaining personal hygiene during their month afloat - or is this a subject best not talked about ? If so, I do hope you guys will be staying down-wind of me !! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Colin

BTW - I've heard people talk about using half-gallon pump-up plastic weedkiller sprays to get an economical shower, but I've never tried it. Could be ok to use in the cockpit on a nice warm day perhaps (?). But - another bit of gear to find a home for ...

Noddy

Visit site
Yes, this is an important subject.

I usually rely on tobogganing down a soft grassy hill with my back legs in the air to get really clean.

Thinking of installing one on the boat - but what sort of soil??

From a previous post; I think Eric sports his odour with pride.

SwedishLass

Visit site
Worrying to have a set of back legs to point skywards. Most are equipped with a regular set and thats enough. Mind you it would take a lot more imbibing to become legless.

To bring back on thread 3 litres a day.

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well, sorry if that's too much information - simply a hangover from my military days when we marked one corner of a towel and used that as a 'working' flannel when operating in the field.

So what plans do others have for maintaining personal hygiene during their month afloat - or is this a subject best not talked about ? If so, I do hope you guys will be staying down-wind of me !! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Colin

BTW - I've heard people talk about using half-gallon pump-up plastic weedkiller sprays to get an economical shower, but I've never tried it. Could be ok to use in the cockpit on a nice warm day perhaps (?). But - another bit of gear to find a home for ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan to wash once a week whether I need it or not. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously though, the spray bottle works fine for me, a puny, half-boiled, mug full of warm water in there and I'm as clean as a whistle, soaped and rinsed, front back and sides. I feel so much better for it and it doesn't use up much water so I can "shower" regularly.

I also use the spray to rinse dishes, clean pesky salt off boat things, like piston hanks and blocks, and my beloved fishing reel.

I plan to allow 3litres of water per day with the safety factor built in by allowing for more days.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is an important subject.
I usually rely on tobogganing down a soft grassy hill with my back legs in the air to get really clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what dragging your arse along the ground has got to do with the issue of personal hygiene. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My focus is on the prevention of both salt-sores, and the prevention of the spread and incubation of fungal spores which cause dhobi-itch (aka ringworm, athlete's foot, tinea), which readily thrive in moist, poorly ventilated spaces such as those I've already mentioned. Washing and *drying* these bodily areas adequately is the key. Likewise around your toes. Not a very glamorous subject, I'd be the first to agree, but in my view an important consideration if living with water restrictions for a protracted period of time, with perhaps few changes of clothes.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though, the spray bottle works fine for me, a puny, half-boiled, mug full of warm water in there and I'm as clean as a whistle, soaped and rinsed, front back and sides. I feel so much better for it and it doesn't use up much water so I can "shower" regularly.

I also use the spray to rinse dishes, clean pesky salt off boat things, like piston hanks and blocks, and my beloved fishing reel.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is one of the best ideas I've come across on this forum - one that's well worth trying ... thanks

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what dragging your arse along the ground has got to do with the issue of personal hygiene. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is a dog demonstrating the technique. (note the soft grass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04crLcXveIY

[ QUOTE ]
My focus is on the prevention of both salt-sores, and the prevention of the spread and incubation of fungal spores which cause dhobi-itch (aka ringworm, athlete's foot, tinea), which readily thrive in moist, poorly ventilated spaces such as those I've already mentioned. Washing and *drying* these bodily areas adequately is the key. Likewise around your toes. Not a very glamorous subject, I'd be the first to agree, but in my view an important consideration if living with water restrictions for a protracted period of time, with perhaps few changes of clothes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm mostly worried about worms.