• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

IN ADDITION it seems that conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum. This is not the place for such content. Users who post it may find their access limited or permanently suspended. Please leave it where you find it.

Fresh Water supplies

G

Well, sorry if that's too much information - simply a hangover from my military days when we marked one corner of a towel and used that as a 'working' flannel when operating in the field.

So what plans do others have for maintaining personal hygiene during their month afloat - or is this a subject best not talked about ? If so, I do hope you guys will be staying down-wind of me !! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Colin

BTW - I've heard people talk about using half-gallon pump-up plastic weedkiller sprays to get an economical shower, but I've never tried it. Could be ok to use in the cockpit on a nice warm day perhaps (?). But - another bit of gear to find a home for ...

Noddy

Yes, this is an important subject.

I usually rely on tobogganing down a soft grassy hill with my back legs in the air to get really clean.

Thinking of installing one on the boat - but what sort of soil??

From a previous post; I think Eric sports his odour with pride.

SwedishLass

Worrying to have a set of back legs to point skywards. Most are equipped with a regular set and thats enough. Mind you it would take a lot more imbibing to become legless.

To bring back on thread 3 litres a day.

Lee_Shaw

[ QUOTE ]
Well, sorry if that's too much information - simply a hangover from my military days when we marked one corner of a towel and used that as a 'working' flannel when operating in the field.

So what plans do others have for maintaining personal hygiene during their month afloat - or is this a subject best not talked about ? If so, I do hope you guys will be staying down-wind of me !! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Colin

BTW - I've heard people talk about using half-gallon pump-up plastic weedkiller sprays to get an economical shower, but I've never tried it. Could be ok to use in the cockpit on a nice warm day perhaps (?). But - another bit of gear to find a home for ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan to wash once a week whether I need it or not. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously though, the spray bottle works fine for me, a puny, half-boiled, mug full of warm water in there and I'm as clean as a whistle, soaped and rinsed, front back and sides. I feel so much better for it and it doesn't use up much water so I can "shower" regularly.

I also use the spray to rinse dishes, clean pesky salt off boat things, like piston hanks and blocks, and my beloved fishing reel.

I plan to allow 3litres of water per day with the safety factor built in by allowing for more days.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is an important subject.
I usually rely on tobogganing down a soft grassy hill with my back legs in the air to get really clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what dragging your arse along the ground has got to do with the issue of personal hygiene. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My focus is on the prevention of both salt-sores, and the prevention of the spread and incubation of fungal spores which cause dhobi-itch (aka ringworm, athlete's foot, tinea), which readily thrive in moist, poorly ventilated spaces such as those I've already mentioned. Washing and *drying* these bodily areas adequately is the key. Likewise around your toes. Not a very glamorous subject, I'd be the first to agree, but in my view an important consideration if living with water restrictions for a protracted period of time, with perhaps few changes of clothes.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though, the spray bottle works fine for me, a puny, half-boiled, mug full of warm water in there and I'm as clean as a whistle, soaped and rinsed, front back and sides. I feel so much better for it and it doesn't use up much water so I can "shower" regularly.

I also use the spray to rinse dishes, clean pesky salt off boat things, like piston hanks and blocks, and my beloved fishing reel.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is one of the best ideas I've come across on this forum - one that's well worth trying ... thanks

Noddy

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what dragging your arse along the ground has got to do with the issue of personal hygiene. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is a dog demonstrating the technique. (note the soft grass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04crLcXveIY

[ QUOTE ]
My focus is on the prevention of both salt-sores, and the prevention of the spread and incubation of fungal spores which cause dhobi-itch (aka ringworm, athlete's foot, tinea), which readily thrive in moist, poorly ventilated spaces such as those I've already mentioned. Washing and *drying* these bodily areas adequately is the key. Likewise around your toes. Not a very glamorous subject, I'd be the first to agree, but in my view an important consideration if living with water restrictions for a protracted period of time, with perhaps few changes of clothes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm mostly worried about worms.