French water

D

Deleted member 36384

Yes, but no different to expectations and obligations of any boat required to assist.

I assume it’s in context with the refugees.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
If the RN ship received your mayday, they would help, or make sure that help was on its way, but they might not be able to stop and rescue you. Just like any other vessel. So I wouldn't expect them to 'come to my assistance' by default, no.

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
If the RN ship received your mayday, they would help, or make sure that help was on its way, but they might not be able to stop and rescue you. Just like any other vessel. So I wouldn't expect them to 'come to my assistance' by default, no.

There was a RN warship in the offing and aware, when the Lynn Rival was taken over by Somalian pirates.
If that's the incident, I think it was, the request was passed back to the UK to approve their taking action and it was denied. I met the senior commander in charge of anti-piracy in the area shortly afterwards. No-one was more cross then the Marines who were ready to go and take action or him who was not permitted to release them... (I'm fairly confident it was this incident that we were talking about.) It makes the armed forces look cowardly and toothless whereas the opposite is true. I can't comment further as it involves naming politicians!

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
If that's the incident, I think it was, the request was passed back to the UK to approve their taking action and it was denied. I met the senior commander in charge of anti-piracy in the area shortly afterwards. No-one was more cross then the Marines who were ready to go and take action or him who was not permitted to release them... (I'm fairly confident it was this incident that we were talking about.) It makes the armed forces look cowardly and toothless whereas the opposite is true. I can't comment further as it involves naming politicians!
Yes exactly, it was the RFA Wave Knight, and the Marines observed the seizure of the yacht and crew but were not allowed to help, this has reminded me to get the Chandlers' book, an account of the whole sorry episode.
Agree about polititians, they are fools for being over-cautious anyway, even to further their careers, because I am fairly sure that the public loves the navy, and politicians who send it into action become popular heroes..and win elections!

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
I'm going to guess that the OP had an incident with the French authorities in mind. If that's the case, I reckon that would be a firm no. To intervene then in French waters would be getting pretty close to an act of war. I know there's a few here who think it would be a good idea to go to war with the French, but ...

D

Deleted member 36384

I'm going to guess that the OP had an incident with the French authorities in mind. If that's the case, I reckon that would be a firm no. To intervene then in French waters would be getting pretty close to an act of war. I know there's a few here who think it would be a good idea to go to war with the French, but ...

If a small dinghy is full of people in French waters, and the Royal Navy responds to rescue people from the dinghy, then that, in your opinion, is "getting pretty close to an act of war".

The loonies have taken over the asylum. This forum is becoming more ridiculous by the moment. There is no way that the French, in the current political reality, would remotely think that the UK was committing an act of war.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Not as far as I’m aware. I’ve no idea why you’re asking this.

I'm asking this because...

1. The thread title.
2. Post #1
If you had a problem in French Waters and the RN were cruising in the vicinity would you expect them to come to your assistance?
3. Your reply in post #5
I met the senior commander in charge of anti-piracy in the area shortly afterwards.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I'm asking this because...

1. The thread title.
2. Post #1
3. Your reply in post #5
Except I quoted Gary Foxes post about Somalian pirates to make it clear I was commenting on the incident he had referenced. I wasn’t talking about French waters or responding to the OP. I’d rather hoped the quote function made that clear?

Whatever…

Black Sheep

Visit site
Back to the question:

If you had a problem in French Waters and the RN were cruising in the vicinity would you expect them to come to your assistance?

That rather depends. If my problem was that I couldn't find my glasses, then no.

If my problem was that my boat was in distress, with grave and imminent danger to life, and "in the vicinity" means that the RN vessel was the closest to me and able to render timely assistance, then yes of course I would expect them to come to my aid.

Poignard

Visit site
Back to the question:

That rather depends. If my problem was that I couldn't find my glasses, then no.

If my problem was that my boat was in distress, with grave and imminent danger to life, and "in the vicinity" means that the RN vessel was the closest to me and able to render timely assistance, then yes of course I would expect them to come to my aid.
So would I .

And, unless it was wartime or the warship would be endangering itself by coming to my rescue, I would expect her master to act as the master of any ship should do.

If he cannot do that without first phoning head office for instructions he is not truly master of his ship.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Except I quoted Gary Foxes post about Somalian pirates to make it clear I was commenting on the incident he had referenced. I wasn’t talking about French waters or responding to the OP. I’d rather hoped the quote function made that clear?

Whatever…

Why would you bring a Somalian pirates thread into one discussing a hypothetical situation in French waters?

Whatever...

Stemar

Visit site
I'm going to guess that the OP had an incident with the French authorities in mind.
If a small dinghy is full of people in French waters, and the Royal Navy responds to rescue people from the dinghy, then that, in your opinion, is "getting pretty close to an act of war".

The loonies have taken over the asylum. This forum is becoming more ridiculous by the moment. There is no way that the French, in the current political reality, would remotely think that the UK was committing an act of war.
I'm going to make another assumption, that you misunderstood my post. I'd like to think it wasn't deliberate. In the event of a vessel in distress, I would expect any vessel to do whatever it could. My act of war would be the RN intervening when the French authorities are "having words" with a British flagged vessel in French waters. Gunboat diplomacy is so unfashionable these days...