French sailing from 11th May

Quiddle

Visit site
Just got this from my marina (google translated).

Dear boaters,

We hope you are well.

We are communicating to you the decisions of the government, taken up by the Maritime Prefect of the Atlantic, which authorize navigation from this Monday, May 11, under the following conditions (subject to subsequent modifications which we will keep you informed):

Possibility for boaters to access their boat within a radius of 100 km from their home;

Access to the pontoons on the port strictly reserved for boaters with a boat on the pontoon concerned;

Respect of the sanitary rules on the port and on the pontoons;

Possibility for boaters to sail within a radius of 100 km from their home (and not from the home port of the boat), to stop in a port, and to anchor along the coasts, without accessing the beaches which remain prohibited.

nicho

Visit site
Great news for French sailors. Over here In the U.K. I live 240km from the boat, so hope their are no such mileage restrictions when it’s opened up here. The boats out of the water for three weeks from next Friday having annual stuff + bowthruster fitted, so from a personal perspective, I would like to think we can visit our boats from early June latest.

bluerm166

Visit site
Thank you.Seems that La manche/du Nord is not making this statement at present .The Mediteranean prefect did but that anouncement has now disappeared.

Leighb

Visit site
Not a great deal if you live about 100km inland from your boat, as you would be able to go aboard but not sail anywhere as you would immediately be more than 100km from home! Perhaps I have misread the notice, or maybe a translation error?
If it was applied here then we would be fine as we are only about 2km from the boat and 100km would give us a fair choice of destinations.

V1701

Visit site
It seems then that you can do pretty much anything that you'd normally do (i.e. go fo a sail, anchor off somewhere, visit another port) but must always stay within a radius of 100km of your home. So depending on geography you could conceivably travel the 100 km to your boat and when you set off start to get closer to home again. Very much down to luck but clearly the message is that they don't want people travelling too far from home which seems fair enough but not much consolation if it doesn't work for you...

Quiddle

Visit site
Not a great deal if you live about 100km inland from your boat, as you would be able to go aboard but not sail anywhere as you would immediately be more than 100km from home! Perhaps I have misread the notice, or maybe a translation error?
If it was applied here then we would be fine as we are only about 2km from the boat and 100km would give us a fair choice of destinations.
It's not an error, been confirmed by a French friend who does live almost exactly 100km from his boat. Irrational requirements in C-19 restrictions: who'd have thunk it?

grandpaboat

Visit site
It's not an error, been confirmed by a French friend who does live almost exactly 100km from his boat. Irrational requirements in C-19 restrictions: who'd have thunk it?
I've just checked out on my tablet and 100km (64 NM) from my home would let me sail all around the Clyde and round the M.O.K. up to Islay, Jura, Firth of Lorne and Just past Duart Castle. Happy Days, although I guess to much to hope for.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
The 100km restriction is because everyone in the whole of France is restricted to staying within 100km of their home address.
Just becasue you have a boat doesn't mean you should get an extra allowance.

Sybarite

Visit site
Just got this from my marina (google translated).

Dear boaters,

We hope you are well.

We are communicating to you the decisions of the government, taken up by the Maritime Prefect of the Atlantic, which authorize navigation from this Monday, May 11, under the following conditions (subject to subsequent modifications which we will keep you informed):

Possibility for boaters to access their boat within a radius of 100 km from their home; (what an idiotic stipulation)

Access to the pontoons on the port strictly reserved for boaters with a boat on the pontoon concerned;

Respect of the sanitary rules on the port and on the pontoons;

Possibility for boaters to sail within a radius of 100 km from their home (and not from the home port of the boat), to stop in a port, and to anchor along the coasts, without accessing the beaches which remain prohibited.

Quiddle

Visit site
The 100km restriction is because everyone in the whole of France is restricted to staying within 100km of their home address.
Just becasue you have a boat doesn't mean you should get an extra allowance.
Assuming the 100km limit is to constrain the magnitude of virus transmission vectors, it would make far more sense to require people not to (dis)embark their boat other than at their home port.

DownWest

Visit site
The way I read it is the max of 100km is from your home to the boat. But then 54nm radius on the water from your home port. Off tomorrow to check on a friend's boat in Minimes, well within 100km.

They are worried that people will leg it from hotspots in the East and Paris to 2nd homes in the relatively 'safe' West.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
The 100 kms sailing limit is from your home port, not from your home! Of course if you need to drive over 100 kms to get to the home port in the first place you're out of luck!

Quiddle

Visit site
The 100 kms sailing limit is from your home port, not from your home! Of course if you need to drive over 100 kms to get to the home port in the first place you're out of luck!

That is not the case, in Brittany at least. If you read post 1 you will see the guidance emphasises 100Km from home. This has been confirmed to me by two Bretons

"Possibility for boaters to sail within a radius of 100 km from their home (and not from the home port of the boat),

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
For the hard of understanding: You may sail your boat up to 100 kms from your HOME PORT. You can call at another port, obeying the Covid rules. You may not carry more than 10 people aboard. - If you are a resident in France you are allowed to drive up to 100 kms FROM HOME, no further without good reason or special permission, carrying a new attestation paper with you … nothing to do with sailing. If you live more than 100 kms from your boat you're out of luck till June. This for those above making up their own stories about how far they can sail their boats added to how far away their boat is!

Quiddle

Visit site
For the hard of understanding: You may sail your boat up to 100 kms from your HOME PORT. You can call at another port, obeying the Covid rules. You may not carry more than 10 people aboard. - If you are a resident in France you are allowed to drive up to 100 kms FROM HOME, no further without good reason or special permission, carrying a new attestation paper with you … nothing to do with sailing. If you live more than 100 kms from your boat you're out of luck till June. This for those above making up their own stories about how far they can sail their boats added to how far away their boat is!

Pretty hasty to resort to personal abuse, aren't you? Who has made up their own story? All I did was quote a correspondence from my Capitainerie which unambiguously states that the 100 Km limit applies from your home, not your home port. Do you have any source to support your opening sentence, or do you think rudeness a sufficient basis on which to debate.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
You obviously didn't read the posts following yours to which I was referring as I explained above - people were adding their road mileage to their seagoing mileage! It needed explaining to them. You don't seem to have read or understood what I have explained. You can drive your car 100 kms from your home. You can sail your boat 100kms from your home port. What's difficult about that? I won't bother trying to be helpful on your forum again - I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear. Presumably it's the anonymity of forums that makes people deliberately misunderstand other people's posts so that they can argue about it - and if you think that was personal abuse then you need to get out more!

Quiddle

Visit site
You obviously didn't read the posts following yours to which I was referring as I explained above - people were adding their road mileage to their seagoing mileage! It needed explaining to them. You don't seem to have read or understood what I have explained. You can drive your car 100 kms from your home. You can sail your boat 100kms from your home port. What's difficult about that? I won't bother trying to be helpful on your forum again - I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear. Presumably it's the anonymity of forums that makes people deliberately misunderstand other people's posts so that they can argue about it - and if you think that was personal abuse then you need to get out more!
It's not my forum. As you have been a member since 2007 I'm unsure why you refer to this as my forum.
You are wrong in what you assert.
"..people were adding their road mileage to their seagoing mileage!"
Indeed they are, and quite correctly, albeit in an 'as the crow flys' manner.
I have asked you to support the claim which you have now reiterated: "You can sail your boat 100kms from your home port. " You have failed to do so. Please reflect on whether others are deliberately misunderstanding your post or whether your post's contents are simply false.
BTW, I worked as a firefighter in Liverpool city centre for 20 years and have been on the receiving end of abuse from professionals. Because your own abuse is effete and turgid does not mean it is not abuse.

Last edited: