french canals - advice please

G

Taking 27' yacht to med this summer. Advice please on canals from Calais-Paris-Soane-Rhone and canal de midi. Any good up to date books on the canals? Are there any regulations, paperwork needed?

G

Try the Vagnon guidebooks (les éditions du plaisancier P.O. box 27 100 Avenue du Général Leclerc F-69641 Calluire CEDEX France -tel (33) 78 23 31 14)- Complete charts of the different waterways plus instructions in French English and German. I found them very useful in my ditch crawling from the Channel to the Med in 98 on a 29 footer john

G

This is a thread which comes and comes. There are innumerable books on the subject, some of them by Laurel and I; get Adlard Coles catalogue, because there is a huge choice.

Maps and guide books are available from Kelvin Hughes (see ads in yottimags) and from Stanfords in Long Acre.

At the moment the Canal de Calais is blocked with pond weed, and if coming from Thames, it is better to enter at Gravelines. If from the South coast try either St Valery-sur Somme or Le havre. The two smaller places require some tricky navigation as the approaches dry out at Low water.

You should have no problems, Good luck.

Oh, if going by Gravelines try to phone the Capitainerie first, but speak French.

We are leaving for there in about 10 days. We know it well.

G

You're right that there are lots of threads about the French canals, but no-one appears to be able to answer my questions about purchasing a VNF pass for the canal system. I've bought several guide books and "official" VNF publications but all they seem to say is that we're not supposed to enter the system without one but there appears to be no way of purchasing one at a point of entry, e.g. St Valery-sur-Somme, so how do I get one? You've been, how did you get one?

G

You buy the pass at the point of entry. I went in at Calais last year and went into the yacht harbour first to get my mast down. Otherwise I think you can wait at the lock which takes you into the system. The pass enables you to stay on the canals indefinately but you can only actually move for 30 days and every day you move you have to mark off a box on the pass. As we went into the canal system on a Sunday you have to go to the canal office which is nearby on the Monday to get the pass. We found all the staff very friendly and helpfull and it is not a hasle at all getting sorted out in France. Have a good trip. Regards Paul

G

I suggest you have a look at the VNF website - www.vnf.fr - which tells you all you need to know - in French. You can send off for the permit in advance - the site tells you what documentation is required, such as ICC and SSR - and you can pay in Euros with a personal cheque or send a money order. I used the VNF office in Reims - 11 boulevard Paul Dumer, 51084 Reims Cedex. You can buy a permit for various periods ranging from two weeks to unlimited cruising all year. the cost depends on size - calculated as length multiplied by beam in metres. incidentally, i wouldn't try the Somme just now - it has been flooded for some weeks and closed to navigation - i know: my boat's stuck at Amiens! I think one of the best books on the subject is Marian Martin's The European Waterways, while Bristow is still good value for routes. Enjoy.

G

Enter and get one as soon as you reasonably can.

At Calais, get one from the VNF bureau (once called the Bureau d'affretement) Pay in money.

At St Valery/s/Somme, go on up the canal to Amiens and pay there, just after the first lock at Amiens. (mooring outside the office.)

You can pay at Le Havre, but I do not know where exactly.

At Gravelines, one can either get a bus to Calais and pay there, or head for Douai or bethune and pay there. The French are quite reasonable.

Alternatively pay by post in advance. I am not sure whether Marian gives the details in her book, but they are in the French edition (Le Code Vagnon) and further details can be got from the French Torist office in Piccadilly.

G

Further comment:

You can get the vignette from any bureau d'affretement. There is not one in Le Havre, try at Rouen, where it is alongside the river.

Coming from the south, there is one at Arles on the west bank between the bridges. Dicey mooring.

If going south this year and wanting to go via Calais or its vicinity, check the liste de chomages. There are some canal closures scheduled. Get the liste from the French tourist office in piccadilly (send large s.a.e.)