French Boats

Frogmogman

Visit site
When it warms up here in Galicia I am going to view a Supermistral designed and built by Amel a small weekender
Another great little boat. One only thinks of Amel being builders of big boats now, such as the Maramu.
A Spanish mountaineer called Julio Villar sailed around the world in an Amel Mistral (becoming the first Spaniard to do a solo circumnavigation). If it’s his boat, it might be quite well worn !!

Julio Villar

Wansworth

Visit site
Another great little boat. One only thinks of Amel being builders of big boats now, such as the Maramu.
A Spanish mountaineer called Julio Villar sailed around the world in an Amel Mistral (becoming the first Spaniard to do a solo circumnavigation). If it’s his boat, it might be quite well worn !!

Julio Villar
Thanks,encouraging at least I can ge across the ria?

Frogmogman

Visit site
I'm currently considering either a JPK or RM cruising boat.
Another area of French yacht building that impresses me; niche builders such as JPK, RM, and Pogo, with their own definite philosophies, who are all building boats that are very different to the offerings of the mainstream manufacturers, with whom they are not in direct competition. All 3 of these builders have full order books.

Laser310

Visit site
Another area of French yacht building that impresses me; niche builders such as JPK, RM, and Pogo, with their own definite philosophies, who are all building boats that are very different to the offerings of the mainstream manufacturers, with whom they are not in direct competition. All 3 of these builders have full order books.

My current dream boat is a JPK FC 45 with a swing keel - none available used though.

Laser310

Visit site

i see that the new JPK FC 39 has won the European Boat of the Year - Performance Cruiser.

it looks really nice!

Frogmogman

Visit site
I would be wary of RM. A company that has been into liquidation once already
What’s that supposed to mean ?

RM did go bust, for reasons that were very clear at the time, and which have already been discussed on this Forum.

RM is now part of the Grand Large group, which includes Outremer, Gunboat, Allures.

Laser310

Visit site
RM is now part of the Grand Large group, which includes Outremer, Gunboat, Allures.

I have sailed quite a bit on Gunboats - both from before the Grand Large acquisition and from after it. The post-acquisition boats are very good - better than some of the boats from before.

In addition, I spent nearly a week at the Gunboat Yard in La Grande Motte, where I met some of the top people involved in building the new Gunboats. I was quite impressed by Grand Large - they are a company with a lot of resources and a real desire to build good boats.

I am aware of the RM bankruptcy. I Believe that ending up with Grand large is the best thing that could have happened to RM.