French ban on boating.

DownWest

Visit site
Today s news, starting May 11th all people coming from abroad will have to remain in isolation during 14 days.
Hi Roberto
Any idea when local boats can start moving?
We have one stuck up at St Gilles Croix de Vie since the lock-down costing inflated mooring charges. Need to get it back to La Rochelle.
DW

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Today s news, starting May 11th all people coming from abroad will have to remain in isolation during 14 days.

Not quite all it would seem. Only those with symptoms of Covid19.
Details still to be announced.

Source: Etat d'urgence prolongé, quarantaine obligatoire limitée, traçage des contacts… Ce que contient le projet de loi sur le déconfinement

Original text and Google translate

Quarantaine et isolement obligatoires uniquement lors de l'entrée en France
Le texte précise notamment les conditions de quarantaine des personnes arrivant en France et atteintes du virus. Elle ne pourra être rendue obligatoire qu'aux arrivées sur le territoire français, a indiqué le ministre de la Santé, c'est-à-dire "sur le territoire national ou arrivant dans un territoire d'outre-mer" ou en Corse. "Cette quatorzaine obligatoire est imposée à tout personne qui rentre sur le territoire (...) et sera organisé avec les moyens de l'Etat", a déclaré Olivier Véran, renvoyant à un décret qui en fixera les modalités précises (durée, conditions d'accès aux biens essentiels, suivi médical) en accord avec les scientifiques. L'isolement concernera, lui, les personnes arrivant sur le territoire et présentant un diagnostic positif au coronavirus. "Dans ces deux cadres-là, il peut être prévu des mesures de contrainte si les gens le refusaient", a-t-il indiqué.

Les personnes qui feront l'objet de ces mesures pourront exercer un recours devant le juge des libertés et de la détention "qui statue dans les 72 heures". Le juge pourra également s'autosaisir. "Ces mesures ne peuvent se poursuivre au-delà de quatorze jours, sauf si la personne concernée y consent ou en accord avec le juge des libertés et de la détention", poursuit le texte, précisant que "la durée totale de ces mesures ne peut excéder un mois".

Quarantine and isolation compulsory only when entering France

The text specifies in particular the quarantine conditions for people arriving in France and infected with the virus. It can only be made compulsory on arrivals on French territory, said the Minister of Health, that is to say "on national territory or arriving in an overseas territory" or in Corsica. "This compulsory fortnight is imposed on everyone who enters the territory (...) and will be organized with the means of the State", said Olivier Véran, referring to a decree which will fix the precise terms (duration, conditions access to essential goods, medical monitoring) in agreement with scientists. Isolation will concern people arriving on the territory and presenting a positive diagnosis of coronavirus. "In these two frameworks, coercive measures can be provided if people refuse it," he said.

The persons who will be the subject of these measures will be able to appeal to the judge of liberties and detention "who rules within 72 hours". The judge may also self-seize. "These measures may not continue beyond fourteen days, unless the person concerned consents thereto or in agreement with the liberty and detention judge", continues the text, stating that "the total duration of these measures cannot exceed one month. "
[/unquote}

MickeyP

Visit site
A quick thanks to everyone posting on this thread with the updates. We have a boat in St Vaast and are waiting to get over as soon as we are allowed. We also have a house in the town so don’t need to stay on the boat.

Brittany Ferries web site is allowing bookings to Cherbourg from the 15th May and they are posting regular updates on their site. Hopefully these dates won’t change but we are keeping a close eye on any updates.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Not quite all it would seem. Only those with symptoms of Covid19.
Details still to be announced.

Source: Etat d'urgence prolongé, quarantaine obligatoire limitée, traçage des contacts… Ce que contient le projet de loi sur le déconfinement

Original text and Google translate
Better to wait for the official text then, yesterday evening political observers were indicating the Govt was inclined to put everyone coming from abroad under 14teen (journalists you may know like Nathalie St Cricq, there is hardly any other journalist in France having closer contacts with Government officials).
Anyway, everything still very uncertain, just think the backward movement they have done with schooling, after the first announcement...

Roberto

Hi Roberto
Any idea when local boats can start moving?
We have one stuck up at St Gilles Croix de Vie since the lock-down costing inflated mooring charges. Need to get it back to La Rochelle.
DW
Hello,
of course no official dates so far.
The general opinion seems to be "access to boats from May 11th, only if you live inside the 100km radius"; possibly going out of the marina but still having to come back at the same place. Even anchoring and having access to beaches by dinghy seems unlikely.
After the three-week period, possibly more freedom, if I were you I'd consider not earlier than beginning of June to make any arrangements.
The underlying problem is they are trying to avoid a massive rush towards the seaside by Parisians and other big cities residents, freedom of movement will likely be granted earlier for local residents.
Just my opinions of course :)

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
More info on the subject: Déconfinement : la plaisance navigue à vue

The situation should be clear(er) by this time next week.

Google translate of the link above

Can navigation resume on May 11? And under what conditions ? This is the question that all boaters and boating professionals in Brittany are asking themselves today. Answer, this week.
Like access to the beaches, some are already pushing for quick access to the sea.

In a press release issued at the weekend, the Confédération du Nautisme et de la Plaisance, called for the return of freedom of navigation on May 11, while committing to respecting all health conditions (barrier gestures, protections on the reception areas, cleaning and disinfection of public areas such as sanitary facilities in ports).

The next summer season is vital. To make it run as smoothly as possible, all stakeholders - nautical businesses, marinas, associations and clubs of practice, boaters - have undertaken, through their representatives within the CNP, to implement a coherent set of rules guaranteeing health security, so as to meet the challenge together, in a spirit of responsibility and reality, to be there from May 11th. (04/04/2020-Confederation of Boating and Boating)

A question that should be quickly resolved. The prefects of the coastal departments must specify on May 7 the navigation conditions and the rules to follow.
Manage the emergency

Because since March 16, all marinas are closed. This is the case in Lorient, where for a month and a half, the 2800 boats are deprived of their owners, even if they have not been completely abandoned.

"Very quickly when the confinement was announced, we had to organize ourselves to be able to provide a minimum service: monitor the boats for example," explains Brieuc Morin, director of ports and secretary general of the Association of marinas of Brittany (APPB ). We wanted to keep in touch with all the boaters by making a video of the pontoons that we podcasted, so that each owner can see his boat. A service that has been greatly appreciated. "

And then, we also had to take care of the thirty boaters, solitary or not, confined to their boat: "people who live there year-round, boaters who found themselves stranded in Lorient or couples who had planned to go around the world and could not take off. They were able to use the laundromat, the toilets, have access to the mail service and even borrowed bikes to go shopping. We were sometimes their only social link ”.

Smooth resumption of activity

As for the construction sites, which stopped at the start of confinement, they have resumed very slowly in recent days, "on a voluntary basis," explains Brieuc Morin. Four employees resumed work on the most important port downtown fairing area. There are around 2000 handling operations per year. "

From May 11, he hopes to be able to reinforce the teams to make up for the two months delay and thus allow boaters to recover their boat as quickly as possible to go sailing this summer. The fact remains that a good half of the 35 employees of Sellor, which manages the ports, should remain in telework.

Same thing in Trinité-sur Mer, one of the high places of sailing, which has no less than 1250 boats. "For the past fortnight, it has been quietly restarting," explains Jean-Claude Faveris, president of the Association of boaters of Trinité-sur-Mer and of the Union des Plaisanciers des Ports du Morbihan. There are approximately 250 dry boats on the reservation right now. This will require at least 700 handling by July 1. "
Outstanding issues

Among the boats in dry dock, there is that of Robert, an octogenarian who has been sailing for over 40 years and who is beginning to find the time of confinement long. On June 4, he planned to cruise to Loch Ness, Scotland with the three retired friends who usually accompany him on his trips on the water.

But coronavirus obliges, the Trinitain will have to give up his journey: "I will rather take a short cruise along the French coast, provided that I can access the ports of other departments. You may need to have been tested before you can disembark. In the absence of a long-haul trip, Robert plans to take a “peninsular tour” at the Glénan or at Belle-Ile.

But joining the Breton islands may not be so obvious.

How can you imagine that an island like Belle-Ile where infrastructure is modest, or in capacity to accommodate dozens of boats every day as is generally the case in summer? Will multi-day cruises be allowed and how many people can be on board? How to set up reception structures, health in particular to allow everyone to respect physical distance. So many questions ... so far unanswered.

This uncertain future worries not only boaters but also all professionals working in ports. From restaurateurs to boat rental companies to sailing schools, everyone is afraid of drinking the cup.

In Trinidad, 60 to 70% of the boats belong to boaters who live far from Brittany. A clientele that may not come this summer. As for occasional browsers, they too are likely to fail as feared by Julien Rouault.

He runs a company specializing in boat rentals and events. All reservations for April and May have been canceled, reservations for boats but also for seminars or group events and summer promises to be quieter.

The cancellation of Spi-Ouest which represents an important event for this company has of course dealt a serious blow to the turnover and "for the moment, we are sailing by sight" confides Julien. Out of the company's 10 employees, only two or three are still working, to meet customers or maintain the boats. The rest were placed on partial unemployment.

Nor is there any question at the moment of calling on seasonal workers or the fifty or so independent skippers in charge of accompanying customers. Certainly, summer 2020 does not look to be auspicious.

The Brittany Marina Association (APPB) brings together 85 ports in Brittany and Loire-Atlantique, plus the port of Granville in the Manche. They represent 46,788 berths and moorings of which around 25,000 are in the Morbihan.

[/unquote]

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
A quick thanks to everyone posting on this thread with the updates. We have a boat in St Vaast and are waiting to get over as soon as we are allowed. We also have a house in the town so don’t need to stay on the boat.
Thanks from me too. Us foreigners with boats (plaisanciers) are not in clear-cut situations and all hints and glimpses as to what we can and can't do, and how, and when, are very welcome.
As an off-subject example, as a result of some research I do now understand why French travel/tourism related companies are very reluctant to refund in the current Covid circumstances and offer rebookings or credit notes instead. They are following emergency legislation. If anyone's interested I can give more detail (PM me).

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

t21

Visit site
This sounds positive: I am slightly stuck in St Martin lagoon Frecnh side atm waiting to try pay the bridge fees in Philipsburg, but not allowed to travel there (on Dutch side) so need an agent, and then hang out in Marigot Bay a few days. Or go direct transat, solo, and maybe to Canaries if flights are running again. I bought croissants every day so had an excuse for bimbling around in the dinghy - the Gendarmes stopped me and asked if I was selling the croissants - nope! I give them away, and I offered one to the main Gendarme (there's five in a boat) who took it with a smile, and it was all fine and very French.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
This sounds positive: I am slightly stuck in St Martin lagoon Frecnh side atm waiting to try pay the bridge fees in Philipsburg, but not allowed to travel there (on Dutch side) so need an agent, and then hang out in Marigot Bay a few days. Or go direct transat, solo, and maybe to Canaries if flights are running again. I bought croissants every day so had an excuse for bimbling around in the dinghy - the Gendarmes stopped me and asked if I was selling the croissants - nope! I give them away, and I offered one to the main Gendarme (there's five in a boat) who took it with a smile, and it was all fine and very French.

It looks like the 14 day quarantine will be mandatory for the Carib islands - even after May 11th. :confused:

Maintien des interdictions d'arrivée dans les territoires d'Outremer au-delà du 11 mai - People Bo Kay

Google translate

Overseas: Continuation after May 11 of entry bans, obligation of fourteen, Mayotte remains confined.

Edouard Philippe affirmed, this Monday May 4, that the prohibitions of arrival in the territories of Overseas would be maintained "beyond May 11", with "obligation of fourteen" but that a point of stage would be carried out " early June ”on these measures recognized as“ very restrictive ”.

The Prime Minister also announced an extension of the confinement in Mayotte, where "the virus is actively circulating".

This measure is intended to "protect" the much-needed hospital system, he said.
However, he specified that a "point" would be made on May 14 "to consider the relaxation of the confinement in Mayotte and in particular the return to primary school on May 18".
[/unquote]

balder

Visit site
I am french, norman. I can confirm: no quarantaine for people moving inside EU Schengen borders to France.
This was different 24 hours before........
I understand your questions, my trawler is berthed in Canarias Islands and I am trying to be back aboard ASAP and certainly motor back to Madeira, Lisbonne, La Corogne and La Rochelle..ASAP as well.
If somebody need assistance when talking with french marinas from Cherbourg to Le Tréport , do not hésitate to email me, if I can help. ( what'sapp )
Dominique
M/V Balder VIII

DownWest

Visit site
Friend who owns the boat, and I, are planning to shift her later this month. After a 'slightly fractious' call to the St Gilles marina, they have agreed to keep charging at winter rates until the end of the month. Nice of them ...

Roberto

As a curiosity, the next few days will show particularly spring-y tides: in a number of places one-off permissions have been granted to private mooring owners to move the boats and moorings from where they might have been wintered (say nearer to HAT/coastline) to a place where they will float longer during the average tide cycle.
End of adventure, go back home.