Freeward 25

sarabande

Visit site
Perhaps bear in mind that many people are dealing with the present weather.

I reckon you are doing fairly well so far. Give it a few more days.

sarabande

Visit site
You will have to give an explanation of what other responses you are receiving .

I repeat, there's a wealth of information out, but people may be busy. Give it time.

sarabande

Visit site
You can change a post within a certain time of starting, but the nature of social media is that everything is recorded somewhere on a server. The reasons are manifold and well understood by most people.

Why on earth do you want to delete a perfectly good little thread ?

Bajansailor

Visit site
Dude, you noted that a Freeward 25 has apparently sailed across the Atlantic and the Pacific, citing this as evidence that it is a 'seaworthy' boat.
Wansworth simply pointed out that just because a vessel can sail across an ocean, that doesn't necessarily make it 'seaworthy' in the conventional sense - they might have had a lot of luck on their side.
Most boats will be capable of reaching the other side so long as they don't fall apart, stay right side up, and they can keep the water out :)
It is the very nature of forums that you will inevitably get some thread drift - look on the bright side, you might learn something useful from these drifts. And even if you don't, somebody else probably will - and this thread is not just for your benefit, it is for everybody to read and possibly take note of.

srm

Visit site
Hi does anyone have any experience with the Freeward 25 for passagemaking or longer voyages? how does she sail upwind in f4-5 or upwards and can she withstand a blow?
Hi Dude,

You are basically asking if a motor-sailor can be used as a passage making sailing boat. Specifically you ask if she can "sail upwind in f4-5 or upwards". Why are you getting so angry when most of the replies are variations on the lines of 'not really'?

I have owned my own cruising boats, both motor and sail but predominantly sail, for just short of 50 years. My suggestion that if you want to make passages under sail choose something with a hull designed for sailing is not speculation. The comment is based on personal experience, including working professionally in the yachting and commercial marine industries for most of those years. Others who have responded to you may well have more experience than mine - or yours.

My current boat is usually described as a 'motor sailor' because it has a deck saloon that was intended to house a steering position. The hull however is that of a tried and tested ocean sailing design. As a general rule a sailing boat can be used as a motor boat (and so many invariably are). However, the reverse is rarely true. The Fisher hulls are scaled down north sea fishing boats. A type of hull designed to swing a big prop powered by a slow running diesel.

All boats are a compromise in some areas. The nice thing about boat owning is that we are free to make our own decisions (and mistakes). This does mean that no two owners are likely to agree on all aspects of each other's boats.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Dear Dude, no reason to have a tantrum. If you can't find direct experience, even so you got some first hand feed back from people (tends to roll, sails ok), then look at the numbers. A boat with an SA/D ratio of 9.5 just will not sail well in anything under a F5. Similar boats behave in similar ways. Watch the Freeward vid on you-tube - yep, rolly. Have you ever done a long passage? You are looking at 3o days + in a boat that size, never mind the short rig, to cross the Atlantic ; rolling downhill all the way. On the up-side: the thing has enough displacement to carry the food - if you are still up to eating. As to windward ability: I think Little Sister was right on with his assessment : 50 degr. tops; in the open sea, and with the short draft and bluff bows, you won't be making much headway upwind in a F4-5.

E39mad

Visit site
The Freeward 25 is indeed the same hull as a Fisher 25 and Fisher Potter with a different coach roof. The hull is long keel with encapsulated keel and protected rudder and propeller. Such designs are good for long passages due to directional stability under sail and little input from an autopilot and should you hit any underwater or floating object you should be protected or certainly better protected than some other designs.

The Freeward 25 was sloop rigged whereas the majority of Fisher 25's were ketch. The sloop rig will sail marginally better to windward and the reduced windage will assist also. Having said that speed will fall away noticeably above 50 degrees to the wind. I have sailed a Fisher 25 sloop and it is a surprisingly quick hull once up to speed. I'm sat in the cockpit - albeit 25 + years ago.
Fisher 25.jpg