Freeloaders guide to the Thames

normskib

Visit site
1, find a Boat any old Boat will do no matter what condition Saftey Aspects , Sanitation etc just as long as it floats,
2 find a convenient place to Moore preferably near to a supermarket but local shops will do at a push do not worry about Limited time restrictions on the mooring As there will be little or no consequences for overstaying any time limits
3 MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL
Make sure that your vessel does not have any form of name recognisation on display or anything else on display that could give the game away as to who might own the Vessel
4 Do Not Bother with silly things like licensing , boat safety certificates , Gas , carbon monoxide testing etc As they are expensive never checked by the EA therefore a complete waste of money .
5 after these requirements are met you can simply sit back on watch all the other stupid license paying boat safety abiding boaters passing bye in the secure knowledge that they will be paying for your rent free accommodation on the River Thames .
And what do the EA do about this situation absolutely NOTHING !!!

oldgit

Visit site
Ask not what the Thames can do for you ?
Do believe that various organisations on the Thames are always looking for volunteers to help make the river a better place to boat !

Parabordi

Visit site
1, find a Boat any old Boat will do no matter what condition Saftey Aspects , Sanitation etc just as long as it floats,
2 find a convenient place to Moore preferably near to a supermarket but local shops will do at a push do not worry about Limited time restrictions on the mooring As there will be little or no consequences for overstaying any time limits
3 MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL
Make sure that your vessel does not have any form of name recognisation on display or anything else on display that could give the game away as to who might own the Vessel
4 Do Not Bother with silly things like licensing , boat safety certificates , Gas , carbon monoxide testing etc As they are expensive never checked by the EA therefore a complete waste of money .
5 after these requirements are met you can simply sit back on watch all the other stupid license paying boat safety abiding boaters passing bye in the secure knowledge that they will be paying for your rent free accommodation on the River Thames .
And what do the EA do about this situation absolutely NOTHING !!!
that's about the size of it, if you cant beat them join them, names coming off next year!

DougOut

Visit site
Maybe I'm over-simplifying but why can't the authorities operate the similar process for boats as they do for cars?
1. apply a notice on the boat giving the owner a fixed amount of time to resolve the issue. Registration, licence or whatever.
2. Remove the boat to a secure location for a fixed amount of time
3. Dispose of the boat by selling or scrapping it
4. Deduct the outstanding fees from the proceeds and put the balance into a ringfenced account until the owner shows up or a fixed amount of time elapses.
I'm pretty certain that marinas do this so why not the EA?

normskib

Visit site
Maybe I'm over-simplifying but why can't the authorities operate the similar process for boats as they do for cars?
1. apply a notice on the boat giving the owner a fixed amount of time to resolve the issue. Registration, licence or whatever.
4. Deduct the outstanding fees from the proceeds and put the balance into a ringfenced account until the owner shows up or a fixed amount of time elapses.
All great Ideas but I would imagine in so many words would be sorry can’t be bothered we have far better things to do than waste our time keeping the river freeloaders moving on .

Parabordi

Visit site
A lot of
Mostly cos a lot of the boats in question are worth tuppencehappeny

Scapegoat

Visit site
They really need a clear policy and to make it well known. Once a couple of boats are actioned/removed - “proof of concept” - it sends the message out to the rest.

The current message seems to be “even if we could do something we don’t want to risk upsetting anyone so better not”

Last edited:

stranded

Visit site
I can only see it going one way given the seemingly ever increasing numbers priced out of bricks and mortar accommodation - where are they supposed to live.

DougOut

Visit site
They really need a clear policy and to make it well known. Once a couple of boats are actioned/removed - “proof of concept” - it sends the message out to the rest.

The current message seems to be “even if we could do something we don’t want to risk upsetting anyone so better not”
I agree, once the first few are removed I suspect we'd see the a reduction in reoccurrences.

DougOut

Visit site
I can only see it going one way given the seemingly ever increasing numbers priced out of bricks and mortar accommodation - where are they supposed to live.
I'm sorry but I can't see how living in slum conditions in this day and age is acceptable. The more we can do to shut these latter-day Rachman slum owners down the better. Initially Rachman purported to be someone who could help to find and provide accommodation for immigrants. Unsurprisingly he was massively overcharging these immigrant tenants who didn't have a lot of protection in law.

Old Crusty

Visit site

Your proposal exists under Article 16 of the Inland Waterways Order.

normskib

Visit site
Passed through Dorney Lock today on my way upstream and I counted 12 live aboard
Narrowboats just above the Lock and what stood out to me not one single boat had any name on the side so that they could be identified ! In fact it was blatantly obvious
that the names have been painted out so the vessels could not be identified therefore giving them absolute cart Blanche to stay where ever they like for as long as they like with no fear of retribution from the EA my point is that if you Abide by the law of the river ie Make sure your boat name is clear on the side and back of your boat have it fully licensed and an up-to-date safety certificate with all these things in place and For some unknown reason you happen to overstay at a Moring for even a couple of hours with all the things that you’ve complied with you might just as well have a bull’s-eye on the side of your boat stating this is my boat I’ve made it extra easy for you to find me please send the fine to my home address many thanks And they say crime doesn’t pay not so sure !

Scapegoat

Visit site
Which EA after discussion with the National Bargees and Traveller Association agreed not to use for boats that were homes.
Strange but true…….

i can see why they consider boat homes to be a “special case” but disagree with a carte blanche approach. Maybe there should be special provisions that are published and introduced over a reasonable period of time.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Passed through Dorney Lock today on my way upstream and I counted 12 live aboard
Narrowboats just above the Lock and what stood out to me not one single boat had any name on the side so that they could be identified ! In fact it was blatantly obvious
that the names have been painted out so the vessels could not be identified therefore giving them absolute cart Blanche to stay where ever they like for as long as they like with no fear of retribution from the EA my point is that if you Abide by the law of the river ie Make sure your boat name is clear on the side and back of your boat have it fully licensed and an up-to-date safety certificate with all these things in place and For some unknown reason you happen to overstay at a Moring for even a couple of hours with all the things that you’ve complied with you might just as well have a bull’s-eye on the side of your boat stating this is my boat I’ve made it extra easy for you to find me please send the fine to my home address many thanks And they say crime doesn’t pay not so sure !
When you say Dorney do you mean Boveney?

I went down as far as Staines last week and didn't see anywhere with that many boats. There were a few narrow boats about Boveney but certainly not 12.

Other threads that may be of interest