Free Yaught to collector

Classicyaught

Visit site
Please, will someone take this off my hands.

FREE!

Get in touch ASAP +44(0)7968585641

Location: B & J Boatyard, Bangor, Belfast Lough, Northern Ireland.
Sailing Yacht “SHEELIN”

R.N.S.A. “Solani Class”

Specifications

Description Designer. Maurice Griffiths G.M. A.I.N.A.
L.O.A. 38`6¨
Beam. 10`4¨
Draught. 4`3¨
Builder. P.J. Cosgrove. Freetown.
Year. 1951.
Class. R.N.S.A “Solani” Class.
Reg Tonnage 8.85.
Keel. Long Lead Ballast Keel. 3.12 tons
Varnished Topsides. Mahogany planking on Native Oak.
Hull. Mahogany, Copper Sheathed.
Deck. Laid African Mahogany, painted.
Steering Tiller

(2)
Rig. Sail Plan Bermudan Cutter.
Spars. Pine, solid section mast and boom
Standing Rigging Galvanised, replaced 1996
Running Rigging 2 x spinnaker sheets and spi-pole.

Machinery Diesel Engine. Mercedes 42hp. 2:1 Reduction
Propeller Three bladed, off-set to port side.
Fuel 3 x Copper fuel tanks
Water 2 x S/S Water Tanks, manual pumps
Anchor Winch Manual
Ships Batteries 2xhouse, 2xengine(latter to replace)

Accomodation Berths Five in three cabins
Galley Gas, 2 burners, oven & grill + sink
Heads Separate heads and hand basin
Saloon Standing Headroom

Inventory Navigation Compass,E-sounder,Autopilot.VHF
2 x Bronze Mainsheet Winches,
Navigation lights, Warps & fenders,
Ground Tackle 2 x C.Q.R Anchors.1x25Kg.1x20kg
. Good quantity of chain and warp
Safety Equipment Hand and 2 x electric bilge pumps
Extras Large quantity of spares and tools

Description
“Sheelin” with her built up topsides, is instantly recognisable as coming from the drawing board of the respected designer Maurice Griffiths. A class of sailing vessel commissioned by the Royal Naval Sailing Association after extensive research and based on the following design brief.

“The Solani class should be a moderate displacement auxiliary cruising yacht which must be safe and easy for an inexperienced crew to handle, comfortable for four persons to cruise in, reasonably fast, and equally suitable for deep water passages and for estuary cruising or “ditch crawling” (please see attached article from Yachting Monthly 1946)

Unlike many wooden sailing yachts built in UK after the war and during the fifties, that were constructed with relatively unseasoned timbers, and perhaps galvanised ribs, the
combination of which left many in an almost un-restorable condition by the eighties
“Sheelin” had the good fortune to be built in British West Africa from selected, prime quality native timber, fully seasoned, and which has largely stood the test of time.
(3)
The vessel has been in Northern Ireland for many years, was cruised extensively and was well known within the local Club racing circuit. Apart from on-going maintenance including regular servicing of the engine until 2004 as stated by the previous owner, refits have included:
1983 Cockpit removed and rebuilt by Bangor Shipyard Co.
1984 Gunwale planks replaced. Chain plates renewed and the 1 inch bronze keel bolts examined by Bangor Shipyard Co. 1996 Standing Rigging replaced.
2008 Mast professionally refurbished plus all mast fittings. (now looks like a new mast).

Commentary
The present run down condition of the vessel is due to fact that both the present and previous owners suffered long ill-health, resulting in nine years of neglect, with the vessel in the boat yard on dry land for eight of those years. As a result of her present owners on-going ill health, and for this reason only, she is offered for sale.

In 2007 the present owner began a restoration which was soon curtailed by ill-ness and thus down below “Sheelin” resembles an abandoned workshop, not helped by the occasional ingress of rainwater from open hatches.
However, a dedicated wooden boat enthusiast will immediately recognise “Sheelins`” potential, and realise that apart from some isolated “soft spots” she is an extremely sound vessel, eminently worthy of restoration, much of which will be cosmetic in nature.

A December 2006 Survey report is available, for information only, to serious purchasers who wish to view the vessel and from which the following observations are quoted.
“Planking all appears serviceable” “All through hull fittings are bronze, well fitted and appear secure” “The outboard mahogany rudder is well fitted and secure” “Sails all appear serviceable with only some general re-stitching required”
But perhaps most important from the surveyors summary “The vessel is constructed of quality materials and has the potential to be recovered after a period of restoration”

“Sheelin” is therefore a viable and worthwhile proposition for a hands on, classic wooden boat enthusiast of the “old school“, and who is able to recognise an opportunity when they see one.

Contacts: Charlie Wood. email: chaz.wood@yahoo.co.uk Tel +44(0)7968585641

Woodlouse

Visit site
Even if the boat is not viable as a "project" how much would three and a half tons of lead be worth today?

Though to be honest, doesn't sound like the boat is in such a bad state to deserve such vicious asset stripping.:eek:

Edit: Just looking it up. The keel is worth £5,000 or so. I must now chastise myself for having such wicket thoughts towards nice old boats.

Last edited:

lukedh

Visit site
I doubt if there are any debts, just a largish wooden boat in need of a lot of TLC. Oh yes, fit-out part complete with rainwater through open hatches. Fine if you have the time and can do the work yourself but I guess a bit of a money pit if you have to pay for a boat-wright.

Luke

Tranona

Visit site
Seajet

No. Solani as this one:

http://www.easternyachts.com/india/index.htm

Some pics their, nice yacht. (A Yacht Surveyor sold her and bought Bloodhound!)

Luke

Somebody has spent a lot of dosh on her since I knew her 20 years ago in Poole when she was Sea Pie. I still have some 16mm jib sheets I bought from the then owner - he was changing them because they were red and clashed with the blue paintwork.

Another Solani was (is?) called Malwen and was built by a house builder in West Mersea with steel frames and was used as a sailing school boat for many years. There were two more - the original Black Jack built by Thornycrofts on the Thames without a centreboard. Another, Musichana was built in East Africa in 1950.

Hope somebody is brave enough to take Sheelin on as by all accounts they are excellent boats.

Seanick

www.nickgates.co.uk
I am sure the only catch s shipping it from Ireland.
Crane lift that end
Low loader
Ferry ticket (eek)
crane lift this end.
Probably 3k, but still a fair price if she has all her gear.

bf494.co.uk
I am sure the only catch s shipping it from Ireland.
Crane lift that end
Low loader
Ferry ticket (eek)
crane lift this end.
Probably 3k, but still a fair price if she has all her gear.

hmmn 3k... ferry over with tools, sleep on board, few weeks work and then have an adventure bringing her back properly

well for someone anyway!

Last edited:

poundsterling

Visit site
Free yacht to collector

Good evening all,

Re yacht to giveaway for free, sounds like it a reasonable project, is it still available?
Inquiry from Australia.

Other threads that may be of interest