France open for business

Sandy

Visit site
Saw that. Very impressed with Britany Ferries response to the initial panic and subsequent reaction and updating of the situation. Desperate to get back to the boat but have decided to see how things settle down before venturing out! Not sure how the French will react to an incoming UK registered car and faltering laguauge.
What else could they do? I'm looking forward to the ferries arriving in Plymouth soon.

Thankfully, Mrs Sandy is fluent in French and we are welcomed with open arms and usually three kisses.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I live in France . Boulogne with my boat in the marina who issue updates on the French rules.

My understanding of the situation, today, is that I can take my UK registered boat out of the port and sail it within a 100k but I cannot enter another - different French port. If I did I would be subject to 14 days quarantine.

Whilst the French are pretty laid back now they certainly object to the 14 days quarantine that the UK has imposed on EU citizens and are reciprocating with the same for UK citizens... Travelling to a 2nd home in France is OK and the rules will not be enforced taking a boat into another port is I suspect not acceptable and permission to leave within the 14 quarantine period might not be granted....

And when you return to the UK one will be subject to 14 days quarantine...

ashtead

Visit site
I hear last night from my man in the local Nodes point caravan park here on sunny iow that 6th July is next release date? There biggest fear is apparently opening up toilet and shower blocks to unwashed mainlanders. Don’t forget if you are visiting/investing in the fleet given price via commercial car ferries for essential business that you need to carry your mask if you want to visit the port facilities but you still stay safe in your car during voyage which is a far better experience than having to dodge the grackles on the stairways.

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
I live in France . Boulogne with my boat in the marina who issue updates on the French rules.

My understanding of the situation, today, is that I can take my UK registered boat out of the port and sail it within a 100k but I cannot enter another - different French port. If I did I would be subject to 14 days quarantine.

Whilst the French are pretty laid back now they certainly object to the 14 days quarantine that the UK has imposed on EU citizens and are reciprocating with the same for UK citizens... Travelling to a 2nd home in France is OK and the rules will not be enforced taking a boat into another port is I suspect not acceptable and permission to leave within the 14 quarantine period might not be granted....

And when you return to the UK one will be subject to 14 days quarantine...

I believe the 100 km rule was scrapped on 2 June (noonsite). Or is there now a new specific restriction for foreign boats?

The quarantine is confirmed to be voluntary. Where does a requirement to have permission to leave a French port come from? There's no customs reporting requirement for UK boats either when you first arrive or otherwise, during the transition period, as far as I'm aware.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
The embargo maritime stated that all French ports were closed to foreign flagged pleasure craft... So far that has not been rescinded but you are right the 100k rule has been voided.. Just checked on the French Gov sited..
As far as I can see the 14 days quarantine still applies to UK people but presumably that will go by the board shortly. It is still my reading of the French Gov site that in my foreign flagged vessel I cannot enter French ports but if I am wrong please say so and quote the official source as I cannot wait to go cruising again once my lift out on Tuesday is finished...

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
My marina has told me I'm OK to move my boat from Quiberon to Arzal next week (I'll be "quarantined" before, during and after the trip...)

That's the impression I have that quarantine will be imposed on entering another French port... And one is not supposed to move under quarantine regs which is why I suspect one might not be 'allowed' to move on... I'm going to chat to my marina office next week as they appear to have a direct line to maritime officialdom...

Carib

It is still my reading of the French Gov site that in my foreign flagged vessel I cannot enter French ports but if I am wrong please say so and quote the official source as I cannot wait to go cruising again once my lift out on Tuesday is finished...

Not an official source, but a usually reliable one - Noonsite does now say that foreign arrivals are prohibited which is news to me (although not sure why this refers to the Mediterranean border), but implies that this is rule is being updated. But note the second bullet which might help you, depends what you mean by 'transiting'. Does it mean just sailing past or entering port..?
  • Foreign flagged yachts note however: The new prefectoral decree for the French Mediterranean border is not published yet.
    So for the moment the entry into French territorial waters of a pleasure vessel flying a foreign flag and coming from a foreign port is prohibited, if the destination of this vessel is a port, a stop or anchorage located on the French coast.
  • This prohibition does not apply to pleasure vessels flying a foreign flag and transiting according to the rules of innocent passage in the French territorial sea.
There's no doubt that the quarantine in France is voluntary though (France Diplomatie should know!), and only applies to new arrivals from the UK, so that should be okay - but dependent on local interpretation no doubt!

PhillM

Visit site
Please do report back - although we're probably shelving France this year and heading west instead, just feels like there's too much uncertainty involved.
Interesting ... I am more minded to ditch west and go to France. Seems more welcoming ATM.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
But note the second bullet which might help you, depends what you mean by 'transiting'. Does it mean just sailing past or entering port..?
  • Foreign flagged yachts note however: The new prefectoral decree for the French Mediterranean border is not published yet.
    So for the moment the entry into French territorial waters of a pleasure vessel flying a foreign flag and coming from a foreign port is prohibited, if the destination of this vessel is a port, a stop or anchorage located on the French coast.
  • This prohibition does not apply to pleasure vessels flying a foreign flag and transiting according to the rules of innocent passage in the French territorial sea.
I think bullet 2 to mean sailing in French territorial waters but not entering ports.....

I had a major drama getting Golden Haze into France towards the end of March and French Maritime authorities took it all very seriously ... AIS etc enables them to track us so easily... The following is the 2nd half of the video I made about it...

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Interesting ... I am more minded to ditch west and go to France. Seems more welcoming ATM.
For what it's worth I got my hair cut yesterday.. town was buzzing... maybe 30% wearing masks but all shop staff. Supermarket this morning very crowded and nobody social distancing... My boat is being hauled Tuesday...
IMO here in France it will all go back to normal in a few weeks UNLESS ...............

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Thanks - I'll have a look at that video. The legalities aside, is there any sense that UK-flagged boats will be unwelcome in French (Brittany) ports do you think?
I have always found the French very welcoming... In fact it's probably an advantage to be a Brit rather than a visiting Frenchie... I lived and sailed out of La Rochelle for 12 years and was made welcome everywhere on the Atlantic coast and now in Boulogne ditto..

As for Brexit its not really an issue for the French people I know - meet.. They think its vaguely odd but consider their president and government to be idiots... well not that smart! For the French us leaving the EU is no big deal except perhaps for north sea fishermen. They are more concerned with the devastatingly high taxes and unemployment... We Brits are made very welcome

Carib

That's reassuring.. I was thinking more in terms of a sense that they might not want boats from a higher Covid rate area visiting smaller communities (which certainly does seem to be an issue in the west country - see other thread!).

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I can only speak for my town and what I see on French news and the intensity of French 'worry' over Covid is far lower than the UK. when I look out of my window the bars and restaurants are all open and ready for tourists to return... Nothing like the West Country!

I read somewhere that France is the country most visited by tourists in the world and with a struggling economy, before the virus. they just want tourists and visitors to bolster their income. Most French people have good feelings about the Brits and enjoy us spending our Euro in their country. I think generally they think we are as 'romantic' as we think the French are... I am 100% certain you will be very welcome in Brittany..