Four waypoints and a continental gap.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Well actually five waypoints but that didn't scan so great. ?

The current plan is to arrive in Guernsey on Thursday afternoon to pick up a yacht that's been mostly prepared for us and get away either on the late tide or first thing in the morning.

Waypoints. Ushant, Cape Finnisterre, Cape St. Vincent, Cape Trafalgar, Gib Straits.....and a swing around Europa Point to Sotogrande.

Not too ambitious with the forecast and probably will only need one pit stop. Provided we get to the start line in the first place! Had one flight cancelled already, but like all deliveries, it pays to be a bit circumspect until one is ready to slip lines.

Beneteau 381. Looking forward to it.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Tick off lists. ?

Booked one flight, Wizz Air, cancelled. Rebooked and should be ok, got boarding pass.

Book and take PCR test. Done that, got result in about 8 hours.

This afternoon, finish Passenger Locator Form and get code.

Book one night hotel. Done.

Book flight to Guernsey and have letter from Port Authority letter to travel to island and tx to boat under rules for Mariners. Done.

That's just getting there!

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
If .you have access to a computer connected to a printer, the Personal Locator Form isn't too bad. I'm sure lots of posters could do it on their mobile. Eek.

Meanwhile the yacht has been lifted and cleaned. The engine and liferaft are recently serviced. The boat is fairly new and the heap of pictures show everything in good shape. Fantastic effort from our support people!

Hoping but still not expecting to get away Thursday evening. Only 24 hours to ...Ushant. ?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Nice and warm in en ger land!

The security border machines are broken. Then you queue for manual access. And...their machines broke. But not many passengers, loads staff. Lots of police waiting to arrest a lad off the plane too. Dizzy excitement.

Bit sad seeing loadsa planes moored up around the very quiet airport and a very unhappy cab driver.

Still onwards tomorrow, paul I bet we sing that song as we slip! :):)

guernseyman

Visit site
Likely fog Thursday evening/Friday morning.
Add Longue Pierre to your waypoints so as not to bump into it on the way to St Martins Point.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Got stuck in still a lot of work to do on boat.

Had briefed passage plan, watchkeeping, safety in ....Gatwick departures!

Slipped at 2100 into moderate viz that turned into forecast fog. Been like that most of way to Ushant but not much traffic.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
We ordered 20l diesel cans...they sent 10's so we are a 24 hours worth light so may be a slow crossing in not a lot of wind to start with. So mebbe 3 days plus a bit to get to Bayonna forgot stop, around half way.

Dressed for Arctic right now. Hope for some warm tomorrow!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
It took me 14days to get from Falmouth through the Straits. Are you going outside the lanes? I had an extra waypoint just south of Rocca TSS to trigger my change from outside to inside for ST. Vincent.

I'm jealous as I'd love to do it again.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Good morning from a sunny way point 2. Just off Finisterre.
Mostly uneventful crossing...inside shipping lanes from Ushant.
Mixed weather from poor viz and calms to last 30 hours heavy airs, near gale early hours this morning. However over last couple of hours, sun out wind will drop dead soon in lee so will donk to Bayonna. ETA just after fuel dock shuts whenever that is....
Will do a separate post on batteries.

Fed up with dolphins. :)

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Bayonna. What a lovely place. I've pit stopped here a few times over the years, love it.

Went straight to diesel dock around 1900, 2000 local. Got topped off fuel and water then to overnight berth. This is at the Yacht club marina, one of my favourite places.

Strolled ashore for a lovely meal in a restaurant that I could be too gushy over! As we left locals were still in a queue to get in at 2300.

So the lads are ashore victualling, I've prepped boat so hopefully off soon.

Looks like another 24 hour donk but if wind fills as forecast, should be at St. Vincent friday evening and looking good for sunday in Sotogrande and the Hairy Lemon!

Beelzebub

Visit site
Bayonna. What a lovely place. I've pit stopped here a few times over the years, love it.

Went straight to diesel dock around 1900, 2000 local. Got topped off fuel and water then to overnight berth. This is at the Yacht club marina, one of my favourite places.

Strolled ashore for a lovely meal in a restaurant that I could be too gushy over! As we left locals were still in a queue to get in at 2300.

So the lads are ashore victualling, I've prepped boat so hopefully off soon.

Looks like another 24 hour donk but if wind fills as forecast, should be at St. Vincent friday evening and looking good for sunday in Sotogrande and the Hairy Lemon!

I've spent many happy hours in the Monte Real Club de Yates. (y)
I introduced Mrs Beelzebub to Baiona a couple of years ago and she was suitably impressed.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Stores stowed, slipped just after 1030.

Forecast changed a bit giving us headwinds for a bit today. Got that right! Well bumpy as we motor sail ot past north cardinal marking the rocks as we head out into Atlantic.

Next waypoint is actually the western headland of Portugal. 167 nm.

Wind should ease later!