Forum Cruise Reports

WorldsHarshestCoast

Visit site
I have quite a different cruise report to share with you, one that I hope you will enjoy. An adventure along the Norwegian coastline, from Bergen, across the arctic circle, and to the northern city of Bodø, in a tiny boat.

We have decided to document this journey, and share it with you on our YouTube channel, which we hope you will subcribe to, so you can take part in our journey. Along the coast we will visit cities, towns, meet up with people with stories to tell, visit places we might never be able to visit again, and show the harsh but beautiful Norwegian coastline and fjords.

The boat is an old 15 feet boat with a 25 hp Yamaha outboard. The boat is being prepared for the journey as we speak, with all kinds of safety equipment. We are currently making videos about the preparations and have started to post these, and we will continue to post videos throughout the project and as we travel along the coast.

We travel lean, only 2 people, with me being the camera guy, and then another guy who has volunteered to face the other end of the camera. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask, and I'll try to answer as much as I can :)

We hope you will support us by subscribing to our YouTube channel (it's free). All the videos are in Norwegian, but we have subtitled them, and will continue to do so if we see that there is some interest in our project from english speaking viewers/followers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEc1LFd9oqnVF2-GEhntbCw

WorldsHarshestCoast

Visit site
Hi Thank you! I would recommend setting the subtitles to English instead of auto translate. We have translated all the videos, and will continue to do so :) The auto translate messes up a lot of things. I'm not gonna claim our english is perfect, but it's certainly better than the auto translate :)

Btw, lot's of exiting stuff going on with the boat now, so there will be a new update in a couple days.

Dmitry R.

Visit site
Hi guys!
After making videos, photos and reports in Russian on different forums, I have dared to make one video in English about my boating experience in Russia:
I would be utmost sorry to know, that this area is not interesting to forumities here, which, by the way, is logical. Then please sorry me for posting. I have sourced knowledge on this forum, so this is my attempt to share a piece of information I have.

WorldsHarshestCoast

Visit site
Hi again!

We have posted some updates since last time I posted, with subtitles in English. The latest one features the crossing of one of the most feared and harsh open water crossings along the Norwegian coast: Stad. It's in the middle of Norway, it's basically a large landmass peaking out into the ocean in a way that means you very often get dangerous wave patterns there. It's also a fairly long crossing. It's very tempting to go closer to the shore as that means a shorter distance to travel. But the waves are often higher, the reflected waves from the shore often makes the seas very chaotic closer to the shore. Stad has a couple fantastic, but cold, beaches that are know for very nice surf waves. The rest of the coastline is just steep rocks. There have been quite a few famous ship wreaks here.

We had to wait a few days before Stad before we could cross it. And even then we ended up facing quite high seas for such a small boat. Even in the large camera boat I struggeled quite a bit to hold on and be able to film at the same time. Luckily my father was able to come with me for this stretch. Without him it would have been very difficult til both navigate and steer the boat, and film at the same time.

Currently, a ship tunnel is being planned, and they will start building it soon. It will enable fairly large ships to avoid having to pass the open waters outside Stad.

LBRodders

Visit site
Hi again!

We have posted some updates since last time I posted, with subtitles in English. The latest one features the crossing of one of the most feared and harsh open water crossings along the Norwegian coast: Stad. It's in the middle of Norway, it's basically a large landmass peaking out into the ocean in a way that means you very often get dangerous wave patterns there. It's also a fairly long crossing. It's very tempting to go closer to the shore as that means a shorter distance to travel. But the waves are often higher, the reflected waves from the shore often makes the seas very chaotic closer to the shore. Stad has a couple fantastic, but cold, beaches that are know for very nice surf waves. The rest of the coastline is just steep rocks. There have been quite a few famous ship wreaks here.

We had to wait a few days before Stad before we could cross it. And even then we ended up facing quite high seas for such a small boat. Even in the large camera boat I struggeled quite a bit to hold on and be able to film at the same time. Luckily my father was able to come with me for this stretch. Without him it would have been very difficult til both navigate and steer the boat, and film at the same time.

Currently, a ship tunnel is being planned, and they will start building it soon. It will enable fairly large ships to avoid having to pass the open waters outside Stad.

Fantastic, love the chat with the fisherman and his wife joke! A true genius of man maths!

The shots where the boat disappears in the swell is brilliant! Keep it up!

mountain

Visit site
Great thread, only just read it all. Thanks.

I should be gin-palacing the west coast of Cyprus aboard our shared-ownership gulet in a month or two and will give regular reports.