Forum abbreviations - what do they mean?

cmedsailor

Visit site
It's not an abbrevation, maybe not even terminology, but what does "white sails" mean? I believe it means something more than sails that are white colour.

prv

Visit site
It's not an abbrevation, maybe not even terminology, but what does "white sails" mean? I believe it means something more than sails that are white colour.

Generally taken to mean non-spinnaker (or other lightweight sail) sailing

Or, alternatively, boats which don't have fancy expensive kevlar etc racing sails.

So you might "go downwind under white sails only", with the first meaning, or with the second meaning organise a race (or class within a race) for "white sails", meaning it's aimed at cruising type boats that want to have a go, not top-flight racers with all the gear.

Pete

bignick

Visit site
Or, alternatively, boats which don't have fancy expensive kevlar etc racing sails.

So you might "go downwind under white sails only", with the first meaning, or with the second meaning organise a race (or class within a race) for "white sails", meaning it's aimed at cruising type boats that want to have a go, not top-flight racers with all the gear.

Pete

Personally I'd take a cruising race saying "white sails" as meaning spinnakers are banned. i.e. exactly the same as your first interpretation.