Forth-Clyde canal.

seahorse

Visit site
Can anyone out there offer any info on how this is working?
Any big probs or is everything running smoothly?
I know there have been lots of doubts ( including my own) but it would be nice to find out how things are really getting on.

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
They had lots of problems on the opening weekend. I was not there but have spoken to some who where. The flotila was preceeded by a dredger. The main problem was near Clydebank where a stretch had not been dredged and the lack of water caused problems with the drop lock which is very large and uses vast quanitities of water. I have had a look at the locks in Falkirk from lock 16 and they do look wonderful with water in them. For latest update and contact www.scottishcanals.co.uk. It would appear a lot more work is required but it is moving in the right direction. They say for boats up to about 25 foot there is to be manual operated crane at a old boatbuilders wharf down from the Carron river lock where you will be able to drop your mast.

Gavin

Visit site
After a return trip from Anstruther a week last Sunday, with a brief stop at Granton, my friend and I met a Westerly Centaur owner (most likely a member of Royal Forth or Corinthians) who had just returned from a week exploring the canal along with a small flotilla including canal barges. The gentleman had a very good journey until he and his companions came to the Maryhill area of Glasgow and had their boats 'stoned' by local childen. Whilst his boat received less damage than the others, he personally received a rock between the shoulder blades.
Our conversation had to be brief with the Centaur owner but we will be trying to find out more about the incident and corrective actions from the Police, as we still keen to pass through the canal albeit safely !

Cheers,

Gavin

seahorse

Visit site
Oh dear! I think that might just settle it 4 me!
I thought that the probs of lowering the mast & possible breakages might spoil the holiday but maybe I am too simplistic.
Hope the prob is settled soon but I think I'll go round thu the caledonian instead.