Forth and Clyde Canal Flotilla!

G

According to British Waterways and the local yachting press, there are a large number of 'boats' signed up to travel from Grangemouth to Bowling on the last weekend in May. ETA in Bowling Monday 28th. As all knowledgeable boaters know, it is tempting fate to expect to arrive at a place at a certain time. Bowling is no exception.

A prudent word of caution to anyone doing the trip on this first occasion would be -
'a' If you draw any more than 4' then hang back to the tail of the flotilla, that way if you become stuck then you won't hold up everybody else.
'b' Fit an external water intake which can be cleared easily for if you depend on your normal intake it is sure to become blocked and you engine won't like that.
'c' Take your diving suit and bottles for you will inevitably foul your prop.

I would be interested to know if any of you intend to do the trip as there are a few more choice pieces of advice I could give. It is interesting that the date of the last weekend in May coincides with what used to be a traditional inflatable boat canal marathon on the Forth and Clyde Canal. It really was a marathon then, and I suspect that this forthcoming weekend will be no different.
So who is going to try it? Let me know.

Gus

G

Don't discourage anyone. As you well know the more boats that use a canal the easier the passage becomes. I wont manage myself to see the proceeding that weekend but I wish them well. The lock into the Carron now seems to be open. Anyone who is looking for a good map which covers the Forth and Clyde canal should try and get the OS map for the Antonine Wall as this will cover the whole length of the canal.
I wish everyone bon voyage for the opening weekend.