Ford Dorset 2712e coolant bleed valve

Cmfield

Visit site
Hi,

Having an issue with my 2712e running hotter than optimal, just under 200f. I removed the thermostat over the summer due to this issue, but is now back in place.

Have flushed raw systems, cleaned the exchanger, new impellor and plenty of raw water flowing.

New thermostat and have added a couple of holes to promote it opening.

The only thing I've not been able to do is bleed the coolant system as all the manual says is "at the top front end of the exhaust manifold", which I cannot for the life of me find.

Anyone got any ideas?

vas

Visit site
no idea for this engine, just wondering how do you measure the 200F?
Gauge on dash, IR thermometer on vital spots (like thermostat housing).
IOW, are you sure the problem is there?

V.

Cmfield

Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply, yes, via gauge on dash and verified with an IR thermometer on the block right by the sensor.

Also new temp sensor installed....

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi,

Having an issue with my 2712e running hotter than optimal, just under 200f. I removed the thermostat over the summer due to this issue, but is now back in place.

Have flushed raw systems, cleaned the exchanger, new impellor and plenty of raw water flowing.

The only thing I've not been able to do is bleed the coolant system as all the manual says is "at the top front end of the exhaust manifold", which I cannot for the life of me find.

Anyone got any ideas?
Over the years the standard valve may have been replaced with a plug .

Plum

Visit site
Hi,

Anyone got any ideas?
90 degrees C is not an unreasonable coolant temperature. What temperature did it run at last year?

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Cmfield

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments/thoughts - runs at about 180f without a thermostat - and at up to 1800rpm with the thermostat. At 1800-2200 is firmly pegged at 200f/93c. I think that I may be getting unnecessarily nervous about running temp having seen it run at over 200f before all the refurbishment. I guess running at 200f/93c is OK, but starts to creep up over that with WOT/2450rpm.

Without the thermostat I can clearly see the flow in the header tank, but at temp and running with thermostat I can't really see with the vibration. No bubbles etc.

Plum

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments/thoughts - runs at about 180f without a thermostat - and at up to 1800rpm with the thermostat. At 1800-2200 is firmly pegged at 200f/93c. I think that I may be getting unnecessarily nervous about running temp having seen it run at over 200f before all the refurbishment. I guess running at 200f/93c is OK, but starts to creep up over that with WOT/2450rpm.

Without the thermostat I can clearly see the flow in the header tank, but at temp and running with thermostat I can't really see with the vibration. No bubbles etc.
Then put the thermostat back in. All seems normal. Assuming your pressure cap is working (15psi ?) the coolant shouldn't boil until it gets to about 120 degrees C.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk