Food glorious food

Gargleblaster

Visit site
The question also requires a serious reply.
Fresh vegetables that will keep for a long time even if occasionally rinsed in salt water include onions and potatoes. I find savoy cabbages will last up to 5 weeks whereas white cabbage I bought in the US would only last 2 weeks. In terms of fruit Granny Smith apples will outlast any voyage I have ever undertaken and also don't mind a rinse or two in salt water. Oranges last about two weeks in my experience.
For meat other than Fray Bentos pies I take tinned steak [65% beef] available from TEsco or Asda. I supplement this with the fresh vegetables or tins of carrots and peas. Tinned chicken [34% meat] and tinned tuna are also good basics for a stew. I find one tin of tinned beef/chicken/tuna and various fresh ingredients and tinned vegetables will last for two main meals. I've found that if I want to eat any meat other than tinned fish the only place to buy it is in the UK. So I now buy sufficient for the return trip as well as the trip out. I know that adds extra weight and takes up extra storage but it works for me. Fresh and tinned vegetables seem to be available universally.
I do take one Fray Bentos pie for every week I anticipate being away.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Lets add a french touch!
I have found individual portion under plastic (french stuff, but I may provide some ) that would last for ever. I used to have one at each evening meal. They are a bit short and need an extra... rice for example.
I always take a great amount of rice on a voyage. One of the reason is that I lived in India.
Artichaud harts in can and sea food in can are good in the US. They are great in salads. US olives and chicken cans have almost no tast.
Fresh fruits and vegetables, in US ,are most of the time almost deepfreezed and last very short.We didn't try organic farms.
Prepared beans were a reference (to avoid) on the return.
The only eatable can meet, under my standards, is the corn beef (but I have an airforce background).
Grapefruit are lasting for one month.
Any "prepared" stuff from the US is overflavored with smoke....
Bread may be sweat, or honey tasted...
Chocolate is flavored with...
We've found some cheese from portugal St something, that evolves towards Munster quite nicely at sea.
Eric

FullCircle

Visit site
Off on a tangent a bit, but when I was on exercise with the Army, I carried little amounts of spices/sauces that modified basic army rations so they could be flavoured up.
So, I used to carry in small bottles/jars:
Oxo,
Brown Sauce, Tomato Sauce
Curry Powder
Chilli Powder
Garlic granules,
Powdered Mustard
Lea & Perrins
Tomato Puree

These days, I would also carry
Jamaican jerk or Cajun Checken mix
Oregano other spices.
Olive oil
Block of coconut (dont forget the grater)
Tins of different beans, like pinto, blackeye, kidney.
Bottle of anchovies
Lots of small one portion tins of olives.
Tins of Princes Liver and Bacon.
Mushy peas, carrots and potatoes
Fray Bentos puds and pies
Tinned tomatoes.
Basmati Rice, Short Pasta and Couscous.
Corned Beef
Tins of Breakfast bacon
Alpen.
Tinned fish
Powdered egg (for scrambled)
Powdered milk, best quality St Ivel 5 pints or Marvel.
Bread mixes (check them out before setting off)
Heinz Treacle Pud or Sticky Toffee
Tins Custard
Tinned fruit, good brands only
Dried fruit
Powdered soups with croutons. Extra croutons.
Chocolate
Hard cheese for grating like Parmigiano, lasts for months.
Carrs table water biscuits and Primula Cheese spread.
Whisky. Malt.

Some emergency high energy foods, see mountaineering shops.

G

For anyone restricted to cooking in just one pot:

Pasta or rice (Tesco's easy-cook cooks quickest).
Tinned tuna, pilchards and mackerel (in case fishing is bad).
Various tinned meats if you're a carnivore.
Misc tinned veggies, fresh cabbage (savoy lasts longest) etc.

Now the clever bit - Tesco's sell a range of (8?) Indian sauces: Balti, Tikka, Madras etc., so mixing n' matching with these from the above will give you a range of several dozen 'different' meals.

Simply chuck the rice or pasta into a pot - using a pressure cooker will save fuel - together with any diced or shredded fresh veg. Using salt-water is ok. When cooked, drain and add sauce and meat/fish of choice, and stir 'em together. Couldn't be easier. Make enough for a couple of days if weather bodes ill, and keep the excess in the used Tesco sauce jars. (which are glass - so be careful)

Also - porridge oats, with a couple of spoonfuls of Slimfast added for taste, cooked with semi-skimmed carton milk - that really sticks to your ribs.

And don't forget the Cocoa/ Drinking Chocolate - a must for long nights.

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Tinned ratatouille - goes well with haricot beans for a veggie meal; with curry and rice; with pasta and parmesan; with chinese five spice and noodles; with corned beef, kidney beans and chilli; or to accompany Fray Bentos steak & kidney pie.......hopefully I won't be sick of it by the time I round Ushant!

lumphammer

Visit site
As a secondary question Ive seen vacuum packed meat that supposedly doesn't need refridgerating and is supposed to last quite some time.
Has anyone tried this and does it work?

andlauer

Visit site
Bonsoir
I've never tried it on board. It works very well but the temperature must remain moderate. The pouches should be strored against the hull.
It also works very welle for fish.
It should last several weeks.
Eric

andlauer

Visit site
French way of life.
I found a french food supplier. That's the sort of meal that I take on my "racing" boat :

BŒUF
-Bœuf Bourguignon
-Bœuf Carottes
-Rognon de Bœuf Sauce Bordelaise
-Chili con Carne
-Langue de Bœuf sauce Madère

PORC
-Gratin d'Andouille
-Saucisses aux choux
-Saucisses aux lentilles
-Porc aux Petits Légumes
-Mogettes Lards Saucisses
-Travers de Porc à la Moutarde

VOLAILLE
-Blanquette de Dinde aux Pleurotes
-Dinde à la Normande
-Poulet au Curry
-Poulet à la Basquaise
-Coq au Vin

LAPIN
-Civet de lapin
AGNEAUX
-Navarin d'Agneau
-Ragoût d'agneau
-Sauté d'Agneau aux Mogettes

POISSON
-Filet de Saumon aux Pommes de Terre sauce oseille
-Filet de Saumon aux Pommes de Terre sauce Echalotes
-Brandade de Morue à la Fécampoise
-Brandade de Thon à la Nantaise
-Cassolette du Pêcheur (poissons, moules, crevettes)

You may order some rabbit!!!

With a glass of Bordeaux, a slice of Camembert... at sun set !
Great !!!
I'm afraid that they don't accept Sloties but only Euros !
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
Talking about food and this is a bit less haute cuisine (sorry Eric!): has anybody ever heard of salt water bread? Sounds horrible but I'm always willing to give it a try!

I can definitely recommend Tsampa though. Nothing to do with more current events! Also known as Satu in India or Gofio on the Canary Islands. Basically ground flour from rosted cereals mixed with butter/oil and tea (or boullion etc). Bovril, dash of Tabasco for flavouring and there you go. Just like that!

Patric /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

futurama

Visit site
Flavoured packet cous-cous, from your local supermarket, Ainsley Harriotts are very good. Pour approx half a mug of boiling water into a bowl or saucepan, add one pack of cous-cous, leave to stand (covered is best) for 5mins, (mix in knob of butter or olive oil if you like) fluff with fork and enjoy.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
i'm just back from a sailing week on Sterenn, just coastal (Aber Vra'ch, Aber benoit, Batz) to check everything after the winter stop.
It's great to have a "mijot" hot prepared meal at evening before the night watch (boeuf au carotte, lapin à la moutarde....).
Eric
PS : At sea, I would sometime prefere a spoune to a fork, less dangerous!