Foil boarding in Hampton Court area.

Teddy

Visit site
Last week a foil boarder came past all the swimmers in the Hampton Court area at high speed. Impressive to watch, BUT, to me highly dangerous and at a speed of about 30mph, highly illegal.
Next day he shot past us above Molesley lock. What do you think?SAM_8198.JPG

Time Out

Visit site
Last week a foil boarder came past all the swimmers in the Hampton Court area at high speed. Impressive to watch, BUT, to me highly dangerous and at a speed of about 30mph, highly illegal.
Next day he shot past us above Molesley lock. What do you think?View attachment 96128
See him quite a bit around Kingston, zipped past us in the dark not that long ago, frightened the life out of me!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I saw him near Ravens Ait. It was interesting to see him drop in the water as the EA boat turned up then he launched again once they were out of sight.

It is dangerous and illegal and asks the question what are the options for enforcement on this sort of thing?

These efoils have pretty delicate propulsion systems so do the rozzers have some sort of net they could use?

The enormous price of them will mean they are rare but where someone leads surely others will follow...

kmatt

Visit site
There are two of them, sometimes seen together. Regular James Bond / Milk Tray attire mostly. They really need to be careful of the kids and swimmers. Foiling and keeping under 8kph doesn't seem to be compatible...

alfaman155

Visit site
Here you go. Took us by surprise but just able to snatch this pic on my phone - a couple of years ago, approaching Platts Eyot.

Attachments

• foil.jpg
    foil.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 61

Big John

Visit site
When caught their equipment should be confiscated. There must be an old by-law some were in the many pages of rules and regulations that can be used.

Old Crusty

Visit site
When caught their equipment should be confiscated. There must be an old by-law some were in the many pages of rules and regulations that can be used.

From memory there is nothing covering confiscation under the TCA & byelaws unless the vessel is abandoned and unregistered. However, as a public nuisance, I reckon Mr Plod could have them away under the Public Order Act. First, the likely lads have to be caught.

riverliver6077

Visit site
I live up near Taggs Island. The number of these eFoils are increasing - last night there was a gang of three racing around. They don't make a visible wake but you can definitely feel the boat rock when they go past. They must be doing damage to the river banks and the wildlife.

Minerva

Visit site
Firstly foiling looks great fun, secondly their wash will be doing far less damage to the river bank that big motor boats and thirdly they are causing far less pollution - both noise and air than diesel engines.

Overall a much improved situation and the EA should be looking to ban dirty diesels before these.

[Runs for cover]

sarabande

Visit site
You lot are really of load of old codgers and spoil sports. :p

Are you suggesting that there should be some form of derogation for these personal watercarft that would allow them to exceed the speed limit, often by significant amounts ?

Ah, but I see you live a few thousand miles away from the problem.

zoidberg

Visit site
Are you suggesting that there should be some form of derogation for these personal watercarft that would allow them to exceed the speed limit, often by significant amounts ?

Ah, but I see you live a few thousand miles away from the problem.
He's not alone in that....