Flying with long items (oars)

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I had one of the oars on my tender stolen last year. I can source replacement in UK but need them in Italy where I am ashore for the winter. These are 2 part oars but the longest part is 85cm which is too large to fit in my checked in bag.
I also have some blinds for the saloon which will be about 1m in length.
Any suggestions on how to take these with me when I fly out next season?

Poignard

Visit site
'Twas a very long time ago but I once flew from Tri-City airport in the USA to Hong Kong with two canoe paddles (the Indian canoe type); with a change of flights in the US.

The sports shop where I bought them would not ship them on to Hong Kong because they didn't know how to (in that part of Tennessee they were barely aware of the existence of a world beyond Tennessee, let alone beyond the USA's borders).

Arriving at check-in I was sent off to find the "Out of Gauge Baggage Office" somewhere in the nether regions of the airport where the paddles were given special labels and sundry paperwork was produced. I nearly missed my flight.

At the international airport I had to repeat the process but this time the OOGBO was even harder to find. Again I nearly missed my flight.

By the time I got the paddles home I was beginning to wish I hadn't bought them and if anyone had shown any interest in them I would have gladly given them away.

:D

Caminoman16

Visit site
It seems any baggage other than the usual rolling suitcase or rucsac has to go to the "oversize baggage", regardless of actual dimensions. I've twice packed my - small - backpack in a black bin liner to save the straps becoming tangled on the carousel, and both times had to take it to the oversize desk.

srm

Visit site
Rules vary between airlines.

I would suggest that you contact your possible carriers before booking with dimensions plus weight and confirm that they will carry your items on the same aircraft(s) that you will be on and at what extra cost. Also confirm the check in process and what extra time to allow. It would also be as well to have a through ticket if you have more than one flight and check the baggage to your destination airport.

Anything less is risky guesswork.

nickf

Visit site
I had one of the oars on my tender stolen last year. I can source replacement in UK but need them in Italy where I am ashore for the winter. These are 2 part oars but the longest part is 85cm which is too large to fit in my checked in bag.
Surprisingly, perhaps, Ryanair allow dimensions up to 119 CMS in their hold baggage. I have taken a solar panel out to Greece with them this year without a problem. You may also find EasyJet's policy of
"No single item can weigh more than 32kg. Maximum total size (length + width + height) = under 275cm."
will fit your needs.

Resolution

Visit site
You may also find EasyJet's policy of
"No single item can weigh more than 32kg. Maximum total size (length + width + height) = under 275cm."
will fit your needs.
I have twice maxxed out on Easyjet: this year with a big spinnaker (linear measurements fine but 31.5kg with all the sheets and some blocks), and a few years ago with a replacement steering wheel (linear measurements added up to 272cm). Phew!

shan

Visit site
Mr Shan has travelled twice (in the last 6 months) with a guitar in a hard case in overhead luggage. Once with Easyjet (Bristol to Faro) and once with Transavia (Eindhoven to Faro). No problems.