Flush Fitting LEDs on Wooden Spreaders

andyo

Visit site
Wondered if anyone had tried (and succeeded, I guess !) putting flush-fitting LED units on the underside of wooden spreaders, to use as deck lighting.

There are a number of surface mounted units around in chandlers and on the web, but a bit unsightly, I think. I was wondering about some thin ones recessed into the spreader - which is about 1.5" thick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy

Seanick

www.nickgates.co.uk
Wondered if anyone had tried (and succeeded, I guess !) putting flush-fitting LED units on the underside of wooden spreaders, to use as deck lighting.

There are a number of surface mounted units around in chandlers and on the web, but a bit unsightly, I think. I was wondering about some thin ones recessed into the spreader - which is about 1.5" thick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy

I would not alter the dims of any spreader. Add a block and let it into that if you have to have spreader lights.

Since LED headtorches have evolved I think spreader lights are an unnessercery complication

johnnyseagull

Visit site
i would be very surprised if LEDs will give a usefull light for this application. LED lights appear very bright close up because they have a very concentrated beam compared to a normal type of bulb but are pretty dim if the object is more than six feet away. i am trying to develop a LED lighting system for use in retail and it is a struggle to find something suitable for a flood light application. however i am fitting LEDs in the cabin as i have found a self adhesive LED strip which you cut to length in multiples of 75mm, solder on some thin wires and there you go. it sticks just about anywhere, is flexible for curved / uneven surfaces, runs cold and is perfect for inside lockers. but if you want to use it for reading maps etc then you have to make sure it is pointing to the chart.
John

johnnyseagull

Visit site
flexable LED

hi Hugh.
i have sourced a new type of LED strips with a flexible clear resin domed cover. These are IP65 rated which would be useful for application in boats.
The bad bit is as usual the price, and as they only have coloured in stock at the moment we would have to buy a 5m roll at £20 per linear metre i.e. £100 a roll ex VAT.
i am going up to the factory on another erand next week and i will ask if they have any of the plain stuff for sale.
i will post a photo' soon so that you can see it.
John.