Flashing

Refueler

Visit site
It's not particularly relevant to Aegina but do I recall that they're legal and widespread in the US?

Considering the USA.

Back in the 1960's when Colregs were being revised - USA refused to ratify until certain was added - despite their Merchant Fleet being so small internationally. They argued that Liberian flag etc. was 'theirs' etc. etc. This delayed Colregs implementation till 1970's.
Similarly - when International Cardinal Buoyage was being implemented - the direction of buoyage was to be with the FLOOD TIDE ... Cardinal System A. This did not suit USA as usual and they insisted on B ... direction of bouyage to be with EBB TIDE. Now we have US waters system and everyone else system.
Next we have VHF channels ... not satisfied with the internationally recognised channels - USA of course created their own Alpha Ch's ... which of course then made most International VHF's unsuitable as they did not have Alpha Ch's.

Marvelous !

requiem

Visit site
Similarly - when International Cardinal Buoyage was being implemented - the direction of buoyage was to be with the FLOOD TIDE ... Cardinal System A. This did not suit USA as usual and they insisted on B ... direction of bouyage to be with EBB TIDE. Now we have US waters system and everyone else system.

Objection! The US had been using the same bouyage system since internationally agreed upon in the 1800s. That the various European countries fell into a chaotic mish-mash and eventually re-emerged with an opposing arrangement was hardly justification to replace every existing ATON over more than a hundred thousand miles of coastline and river systems.

Next we have VHF channels ... not satisfied with the internationally recognised channels - USA of course created their own Alpha Ch's ... which of course then made most International VHF's unsuitable as they did not have Alpha Ch's.

Fair point. I believe the railroads may be somewhat to blame; much of the spectrum had been auctioned off, thus the use of the alpha channels to utilise what remained.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I've seen a couple of masthead strobes offshore and they're far easier to spot than official tri-colour. See lots of folks using flashing low level led anchor lights, which are often easier to see against shore lights but, as said already not "legal" and can be confusing when anchored behind channel buoys, particularly if using a net light which alternates colours.

Refueler

Visit site
Objection! The US had been using the same bouyage system since internationally agreed upon in the 1800s. That the various European countries fell into a chaotic mish-mash and eventually re-emerged with an opposing arrangement was hardly justification to replace every existing ATON over more than a hundred thousand miles of coastline and river systems.

Actually not strictly true .... as prior to the adoption of IALA buoyage (correct name) - there were too many locally instigated systems as explained here :

As recently as the 1970s there were more than 30 buoyage systems in use around the world. This caused confusion and accidents and it was after two fatal incidents in the Dover Straits in 1971 that the IALA (International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities) was established. There followed a worldwide effort to develop a safe, unified maritime buoyage system that could be followed by all vessels at sea.

This resulted in the IALA Maritime Buoyage System and by 1980 there were just 2 systems in use, IALA A and IALA B. Although there is not as yet one unified system for the whole world, this was a major achievement nonetheless and the differences between IALA A and IALA B are only minor. The IALA chose the two systems in order to keep the number of changes to existing systems to a minimum and to avoid major conflict.

The action was taken to try create a uniform system that the world could adopt and increase navigational safety. USA DID refuse to accept the majority Red to Port with Flood Tide and it is a fact that they then increased through their influence the number of locations using their EBB tide version. Problem is now - its late in the game and shrouded in misty grey !

Fair point. I believe the railroads may be somewhat to blame; much of the spectrum had been auctioned off, thus the use of the alpha channels to utilise what remained.

Marine VHF channel band is governed by International Convention and cannot be 'sold off' to anyone like Railroads ... I was not aware that Alpha Ch's were outside the Marine Band .. I'll have to check that. Doesn't change the fact that when I was engaged in Seismic work with CGG of US Coast - the CG insisting on sending out their info on 22A was a real pain ... if we ever called them up to give info about our shoot or whatever .. Orion Arctic this is US Coast Guard - please change to 22 Alpha - OUT. That was end of that chat !!

vas

Visit site
most (if not all) fishing boats (from 5m up to 20m) here in Greece have an assortment of lights that have nothing to do with colregs. Recently constantly lighting and looping through red/blue/green/whatever seems to be in vogue.
lots of small mobos and small sailing yachts also have flashing white or red leds on the bow or somewhere along the railings.
My understanding is that all these have a battery charging form a 50X50mm solar panel on top of the thing with the photodiode (or whatever is the cheapest means) and are auto on at night.
Lidl and other h/w stores occasionally brings such things.

requiem

Visit site
The action was taken to try create a uniform system that the world could adopt and increase navigational safety. USA DID refuse to accept the majority Red to Port with Flood Tide and it is a fact that they then increased through their influence the number of locations using their EBB tide version. Problem is now - its late in the game and shrouded in misty grey !

Why apply the effort when the other countries couldn't even stick to previous agreements? Pulling from the minutes of the International Marine Conference of 1889:

The term starboard-hand shall denote that side of a navigable channel which is on the right hand of the mariner entering from seaward; the term port-hand shall denote that side which is on the left hand under the same circumstances.
Color.-- Buoys defining the starboard-hand shall be painted a single red color. Buoys defining the port-hand shall he painted a single black color or a party-color. Buoys defining middle grounds shall be painted with horizontal hands.
Form:-- Wherever form is used as a distinctive character. Buoys defining the starboard hand shall he conical, and those defining the port-hand shall be can or spar.

(I assume everyone knows that green is a relatively recently replacement for black.)

Marine VHF channel band is governed by International Convention and cannot be 'sold off' to anyone like Railroads

Here is some background on the railroads comment: https://www.nmea.org/Assets/nmea_vhf_history2009.pdf (If time is limited, I suggest slides 10, 11, 20, 21, and 49 in particular.)

Refueler

Visit site
Just a comment ... can you see the 'idiocy' of the Port hand being black or green ? When ships of all nations have for many years carried RED PORT .. GREEN STBD ... I accept that even in the early 1800's ships were lit by white oil lamps and colours came in quite late.

But why have red to port for ships and not for channels ??

As regards the RR in USA ... interesting - thanks for that. It does indicate though that this silly split of ch's occurred prior to the ITU governance and directives we are subject to now.

Last edited:

requiem

Visit site
I think you've touched on one of the reasons for the swap; some people (France?) started putting red lights on their black buoys.

I shall have to dig a bit more in the archives, as I suspect the buoyage traditions started before the coloured lights, and it would have been even longer before lighted buoys became a thing.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I am parked next to a Bertram 44 motor boat on its starboard uperdeck there's a light hanging color as I watch, green, red, blue, green purple, green red, blue green white yellow green blue in about a minute.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
I am parked next to a Bertram 44 motor boat on its starboard uperdeck there's a light hanging color as I watch, green, red, blue, green purple, green red, blue green white yellow green blue in about a minute.

I'd ask him if its a Party Invitation light or a Birthday going on ??

I have to admit that I have put a Solar light in my Fishing rod holder on aft pushpit rail .. and I can also put one in the handle hole of my anchor windlass when I'm in a marina to 'light my way home' !! But they are low down and low power so not mistaken for other lights.

Other threads that may be of interest