Flashing

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I was anchored in a small Harbour on Aegina last night it was so hot I was awake most of the night.
What I noticed was flashing white lights on yachts,there was a Dutch flotilla in and all had these light on and quite a few others. Are they a legal anchor light?
Yes, I do know there no need for a light when in Port stern to or moored.
The narrow entrance also had a flashing light, you guessed it.. White

William_H

Visit site
They come from an era when LEDs were not so powerful but Xenon flash were common. (As in photo flash units). So a flashing white "strobe light" became popular as very bright and low total current drain.
In aviation the requirements were for a red flashing light for anti collision plus nav lights. Americans started fitting "strobe " lights to wing tips and tail and yes they improved visibility. Initially not legal, authorities were forced to accept them as aid to anti collision.
Similar in boating I imagine though perhaps a little dated when you look at modern LED technology. But yes the strobe by nature while attention grabbing, is flashing so confusing with navigation marks. Certainly not appropriate at anchor in a harbour. No good complaining though. ol'will

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
They come from an era when LEDs were not so powerful but Xenon flash were common. (As in photo flash units). So a flashing white "strobe light" became popular as very bright and low total current drain.
In aviation the requirements were for a red flashing light for anti collision plus nav lights. Americans started fitting "strobe " lights to wing tips and tail and yes they improved visibility. Initially not legal, authorities were forced to accept them as aid to anti collision.
Similar in boating I imagine though perhaps a little dated when you look at modern LED technology. But yes the strobe by nature while attention grabbing, is flashing so confusing with navigation marks. Certainly not appropriate at anchor in a harbour. No good complaining though. ol'will
Yes it's the norm now here .a funny thing I also noticed on a 7m+ fast rib with a single red light bulb on the bow .

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I was anchored in a small Harbour on Aegina last night it was so hot I was awake most of the night.
What I noticed was flashing white lights on yachts,there was a Dutch flotilla in and all had these light on and quite a few others. Are they a legal anchor light?
Yes, I do know there no need for a light when in Port stern to or moored.
The narrow entrance also had a flashing light, you guessed it.. White
There is no illegality as such but such flashing lights are clearly outwith ColRegs. ;)

Richard

Ink

Visit site
In Malaysia and Indonesia the fishermen in their small boats in the middle of nowhere all have rapid fire pulsing LEDs many of different changing colours. Coming into Singapore can be a challenge....

Ink

Refueler

Visit site
Quite possibly .... but that has nothing to do with "illegality".

Richard

Fair enough .. I agree but why push the Legal when Insurance can often be the riding factor ?
You can show any light you like on a boat .. blimey - look at the Scandinavian idea of low intensity deck lights along the sides of some ships to stop idiots trying to go between the steaming lights ... not illegal.

Refueler

Visit site
In Malaysia and Indonesia the fishermen in their small boats in the middle of nowhere all have rapid fire pulsing LEDs many of different changing colours. Coming into Singapore can be a challenge....

Ink

50nm off West Africa .. I ran through an armada of dug-outs fishing with candles in jars on the bow ...

Approach a Chinese Port ............

requiem

Visit site
It's not particularly relevant to Aegina but do I recall that they're legal and widespread in the US?

In US Inland waters, a high intensity white light flashing at regular intervals from 50 to 70 times per minute is a distress signal.

This of course suggests a perfectly reasonable response to seeing one.

Other threads that may be of interest