Fiscal Residency Information: Portugal

shan

Visit site
I have attached a booklet on Fiscal Residency from EuroFinesco, if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• e4a - Fiscal Residency - A5 tablet - colour cover - 9th.pdf
    617.8 KB · Views: 29

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
There are rules which some follow and some don't. My wife who is a citizen has never filled in a tax return and neither have I, a permanent resident. We were advised by Finances not to bother filing as no income here. If we had income then we would do so, we're taxed in UK where we're also classed as resident.

nortada

Visit site
This may be of interest:- Double Tax Treaties

I understand from friends in similar situations in Portugal (many ex-members of the U.K. Armed Forces), that the advice you were given was not unusual. Especially if all of your income is derived from state and government pensions.

Dual residency may also have something to do with it?

More reading:- What is Dual Citizenship | The Benefits and List Of Counties | Endevio

Clearly any income (including retail income) derived in Portugal will be taxed in Portugal.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
I have attached a booklet on Fiscal Residency from EuroFinesco, if anyone is interested.
Thanks for that Shan. It's a good guide to the facts.
By going to the question and answer section of the document, people can see that almost no-one is exempt from completing a Portuguese tax return if they are resident in Portugal. There are a couple of exceptions but I suspect that not many on here will meet those requirements.

srm

Visit site
On the advice of our Portuguese accountant who negotiated with the local financias for us we complete the annual Portuguese tax return but only showing income earned in Portugal. A nice round Zero for each of the last few years.