First time buying a cruiser

G

I have been sailing for years, crewing in yacht races, and dingy sailing. I now have my shorebased yachmasters and my VHF licence. Next step is to buy a boat!
I have a young family (3 girls, 6,8,10 this Summer) and my wife has little sailing experience. We are going on a Greek Sunsail flotilla holiday this Summer to get the family "on board". I live near Ramsgate, so suspect that the best places to introduce me and my family to cruising are the East Coast creeks, plus the odd trip to France. I have no desire to race this boat. What should I buy? My priority is ensuring that the family develop a love of sailing, so I probably need a bilge keeler with shower, toilet, most mod cons etc. Should I go with a motor sailer? I can afford a new boat if I have to.

Your help gratefully received, Anthony.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
It's very difficult to say Anthony as you've not put what you're prepared to spend. If you want bilge keels you're mosty limited to British cruisers. With three growing children, you might want to look in the 30' range , again budget permitting. Try some of the Westerly range - the Fulmar being 32' long. The Moody 31 is also worth looking at. With regards to a motor sailer, it's really a question to ask yourself. How much do you enjoy sailing and how much value to put on a boat's sailing performance ?

robp

Visit site
Not claiming to be an expert here but I have done the same thing over the past few years so have some bearing on it. Whilst they are young the semi "camping" experience is OK, so you could probably get away with 30' or maybe 29? Like Bill and James said, need to know more - How big, How much?

American Hunter are starting to produce a Legend 29'? bilge keeler in Portland. They will be family friendly and mod cons. Probably OK for short channel crossing. Or S/H Moody/Westerly/UK Hunter 30 bilge will keep a good resale price, which is important. Moving up, what about S/H Souherly lifting keel?

Good luck and fun times.

G

Re: More renting first?

I wonder if it's worth some UK based renting first? Taking them to Greece then buying for the UK is isn't the same, as well you know! They can't jump in, and not so much suntanning goes on and there's that rain stuff. If they love it, then a larger more lux boat can be justified, so you'd have to trade up from a 30footer with 2 +3 kids going on 5 proper people in the family.

G

Re: More renting first?

Any ideas where to rent on the East Coast.

Thanks Anthony