First of January coming up

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just over 50 hours to go before the men in uniform come banging on the boat to stamp our passport or not ,
Some of the British liveaboard have returned back to the UK to stay with family , to return just as the season start to get a full 90 day but then there the rebel Brits
We in for interesting times to come.
The coughing and sneezing as the men in black approach the boats should keep them away for a while.
I'm writing a book a 101 ways around Brexit or is it 101 how to have sex, oh what ever, it be interesting reading :)
Happy New Years everyone.

Artic Warrior

Visit site
Just over 50 hours to go before the men in uniform come banging on the boat to stamp our passport or not ,
Some of the British liveaboard have returned back to the UK to stay with family , to return just as the season start to get a full 90 day but then there the rebel Brits
We in for interesting times to come.
The coughing and sneezing as the men in black approach the boats should keep them away for a while.
I'm writing a book a 101 ways around Brexit or is it 101 how to have sex, oh what ever, it be interesting reading :)
Happy New Years everyone.
I'm reading on the UK gov site that an extension after the 90 days can be obtained...am I reading this right...or I might be getting confused and its meaning extension of a shengen visa which is very very hard to get

mikegunn

Visit site
Some one as to , there getting a load of moaning farts here lately
Happy new year .
And a very happy New Year Vic, to you and Christine. I see it’s 14°C in Licata but only 0°C and very foggy here on the IOW. No guessing where I’d rather be! Hope we get the opportunity to meet up again this year. Stay safe.
Mike.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
And a very happy New Year Vic, to you and Christine. I see it’s 14°C in Licata but only 0°C and very foggy here on the IOW. No guessing where I’d rather be! Hope we get the opportunity to meet up again this year. Stay safe.
Mike.
More like 10c as we all stood out side in the. BBQ area waiting for mid night off course we was all 2 mts apart mind you after all the champagne that flow last night most couldn't say what country they where in let alone the distance from the person next to them .
But hey a very good night and it beat being locked in a house some where.
This morning the sun out , it's up to 14c can you smell the bacon ?
Only one thing left to do.
START PLANNING THIS YEAR CRUISE.

Attachments

• IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    535.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's 90 days in 180 days , basically you count back ward , say you been in the EU on day X , count back 180 days from day X if you only spend say 50 days ( 20 in June and 30 in Aug ) you have 40 days left .

nortada

Visit site
With the 90 days, is this per trip, or total stay per annum, and then is this per country you visit ?

It's 90 days in 180 days , basically you count back ward , say you been in the EU on day X , count back 180 days from day X if you only spend say 50 days ( 20 in June and 30 in Aug ) you have 40 days left .

It’s 90 days total anywhere in the EU. NOT per country you visit.

You might find Brexit : do U.K. citizens need to apply for a Schengen visa ?, useful.

Finally, have you got residency in an EU state?

If so, the 90/180 will not apply there so you will be able to stay (just in that country) for as long as you like and still have up to 90 days in 180 in other Schengen states.

Last edited:

Paulie300

Visit site
Thank you all. I saw a previous distinction of residency vs something else, and hadn't been aware of a difference. I'm tax resident in the UK, nowhere else, but have had a house in France for 13 years. Not sure how the clock would start and stop ticking, who is doing the counting/taking notice? As I spend more time abroad though, I think it could start to add up, and with mixing of countries become.complicated though im not sure what the implications is?

Sailfree

Visit site
If I visit the UK I do so via Caen in France so when I return it will be via France yet my residency is for Portugal.

I assume showing my residency at Passport control will be necessary but wonder what French border control will make of it!

Probably be easier once Portuguese biometric cards are issued but with Covid delays that might not be fir a while.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
If I visit the UK I do so via Caen in France so when I return it will be via France yet my residency is for Portugal.
I assume showing my residency at Passport control will be necessary but wonder what French border control will make of it!
Probably be easier once Portuguese biometric cards are issued but with Covid delays that might not be fir a while.

I'm told passports shouldn't be stamped when in transit to country of residence - My question and Euro Direct answer below.

Hi, I am a UK national and have dual residence, UK and permanent residence status in Portugal, where I understand I can stay without any effect on the 90 day Schengen rule for visiting other States. However, if I drive to Portugal from the UK, my passport will no doubt be stamped on arrival in France but not again (no border checks) until I again return to France many months later on my way home. At that point, it will appear I have overstayed my 90 day welcome. This will of course apply to all those with residence status who drive through other Schengen States so, how will it be handled? Regards, Graham.

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre and apologies for the late reply.

We have consulted the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers (DG JUST). They can inform you that when transiting via another country than the Member State of residence, passports should not be stamped on entry/exit. Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.

We hope you find this information useful. Please contact us again if you have other questions about the European Union, its activities or institutions.

------------------------------------------------------

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm told passports shouldn't be stamped when in transit to country of residence - My question and Euro Direct answer below.

Hi, I am a UK national and have dual residence, UK and permanent residence status in Portugal, where I understand I can stay without any effect on the 90 day Schengen rule for visiting other States. However, if I drive to Portugal from the UK, my passport will no doubt be stamped on arrival in France but not again (no border checks) until I again return to France many months later on my way home. At that point, it will appear I have overstayed my 90 day welcome. This will of course apply to all those with residence status who drive through other Schengen States so, how will it be handled? Regards, Graham.

Thank you for contacting the Europe Direct Contact Centre and apologies for the late reply.

We have consulted the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers (DG JUST). They can inform you that when transiting via another country than the Member State of residence, passports should not be stamped on entry/exit. Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.

We hope you find this information useful. Please contact us again if you have other questions about the European Union, its activities or institutions.

------------------------------------------------------
Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.

That sound as if they saying you have free movement with in schengen ?

Graham376

Visit site
Residence permit holders are not limited to the maximum period of stay of 90/180 days within the Schengen area as they have a right of residence going beyond these days in the Member State which issued the residence permit.

That sound as if they saying you have free movement with in schengen ?

It certainly reads that way but everything I've read elsewhere says not so, who's correct? Your guess is as good as mine.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It certainly reads that way but everything I've read elsewhere says not so, who's correct? Your guess is as good as mine.
Like you mate everything I read also say that's not correct ,
Look at it another way if that was right then why haven't people who have arrived ( asylum ) who now have residency in one country still don't have free movement , if they did they be packing up their bags and on the first flight out of Italy/Malta to Germany or where ever.

Graham376

Visit site
Like you mate everything I read also say that's not correct ,
Look at it another way if that was right then why haven't people who have arrived ( asylum ) who now have residency in one country still don't have free movement , if they did they be packing up their bags and on the first flight out of Italy/Malta to Germany or where ever.

Their reply was about transiting other states so is most likely correct in that respect. I didn't ask about visiting or staying there.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
How would that work then say X has residency in Greece and he sailing a very slow boat from the UK back to Greece which could take him six month can he too say in the EU awhile transiting through the EU longer then the 90 days?
You may be right Graham who know.
The only thing certain so far that we can all relay on is,
the UK left the EU on the 31 Dec and that's about it .
I even read some where that we going to be able to get six months visa on top of the 90 day , now that be a turn up for the books .

Graham376

Visit site
How would that work then say X has residency in Greece and he sailing a very slow boat from the UK back to Greece which could take him six month can he too say in the EU awhile transiting through the EU longer then the 90 days?

That thought had crossed my mind as well;) It's too soon yet for UK and EU government sites to be updated with the small print from the agreement, most still quote pre-2021 rules. Maybe things will become clearer and loopholes spotted over the next few weeks.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Finally, have you got residency in an EU state?

If so, the 90/180 will not apply there so you will be able to stay (just in that country) for as long as you like and still have up to 90 days in 180 in other Schengen states.
I believe this 90/180 restriction for residents of a schengen member state is incorrect as I have been arguing on this forum for a while now. I am a permanent resident of Sweden and the terms of my residency declare that I enjoy the same rights as a Swedish citizen which by definition is also an EU Citizen. Therefore I am not bound by the 90/180 rule. Since I recieved a letter from the British Embassy advising to re-apply for my residency I did go through the procedure. While studying the requirements and filling out the forms it became apparant that there was no difference between residence and permanent residence regarding 360/360 length of stay. Both forms of residence qualify for 360/360 stay in ALL Shengen states. The only differece a passport gives is mainly voting rights and deportation security.

Edit. Replied to Nortada before reading the rest of the thread. I notice that others have mentioned this 360/360 freedom for residents to ALL Schengen states in addition to 360/360 in the state of residence.

Last edited: