First Lundy trip basics - getting ashore

BristolDiver

Visit site
Technically it’s my second visit, but first time ashore. The first was bringing our Sigma 362 up from Plymouth when we anchored in the rocky bay near the Rattles for a rest and to dodge the foul tide.

Happy with anchoring off in Landing Bay subject to conditions, rather than taking an unknown mooring. The unknown part, is what’s the accepted convention for getting ashore?

Tender to beach, carry tender up to HWM? How far is that walk / how steeply does the beach shelve?
Our Lodestar 290 tender is somewhat oversize and overweight. Super stable in the water but a bit of a struggle to carry.

Can you leave Tenders on the landing Jetty, or is that a strict no-no?

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Go to the slipway and pull dinghy up out of the way ?. There is a landing charge which you pay at the pub - unless NT members. Steep slipway and steep hill to the top.
You can anchor quite close in but not too close as it's a rocky shore in places.

Enjoy

PCUK

Visit site
Technically it’s my second visit, but first time ashore. The first was bringing our Sigma 362 up from Plymouth when we anchored in the rocky bay near the Rattles for a rest and to dodge the foul tide.

Happy with anchoring off in Landing Bay subject to conditions, rather than taking an unknown mooring. The unknown part, is what’s the accepted convention for getting ashore?

Tender to beach, carry tender up to HWM? How far is that walk / how steeply does the beach shelve?
Our Lodestar 290 tender is somewhat oversize and overweight. Super stable in the water but a bit of a struggle to carry.

Can you leave Tenders on the landing Jetty, or is that a strict no-no?
Fit some folding transom wheels to make the dragging up the hill easier.

BristolDiver

Visit site
Fit some folding transom wheels to make the dragging up the hill easier.
Thanks PCUK. Yes brain engaged about an hour after posting for help. I’m ordering up some fancy SUPROD wheels to help - although they add even more weight to the dinghy.

I think it’s worth the trade off, as we have lifting tackle and halyards to manage the weight issue for launch & recovery.(y)

DuncanHall

Visit site
There is a small wall by the quay which is better to tie a dingy up to with steps at the side. The problem with the slipway is that there can be quite a swell that can lead to wet passengers!

I used it many times when I sailed in the Bristol channel.

BristolDiver

Visit site

DuncanHall

Visit site
Yes I mean the small slip next to the jetty. I and others have used it many times. The problem with the slip is the lack of shelter. Its well out of the way of the steamer. There is a small breakwater to separate it from the jetty.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Yes I mean the small slip next to the jetty. I and others have used it many times. The problem with the slip is the lack of shelter. Its well out of the way of the steamer. There is a small breakwater to separate it from the jetty.
There can be a terrible back slop in there by that jetty slip. We have used it when seal cubs on Landing beach or when waves crashing over Landing beach slip. One can also carry dinghy along ferry jetty to launch

Dinghies should be dragged high up as Snoopy said. We were able to see evidence of the auto inflate feature on lifejackets left in dinghy. And in slop on the landing slip we were later even able to witness it in action when Navigator sat down in sea due to losing balance due to wave - and she was sober(ish)

Oh and leave anchor light on, as getting back from the excellent Marisco Tavern late and rowing out into a pitchblack sea looking for ones yacht is distressing to say the least. I tend keep my VHF handheld with me on visits ashore.

I have to say I use the trawler mooring rather than anchor usually.

Lundy - the longer you spend there, the bigger and better it gets